MMA vs The Streetfight

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Paladin

MMA vs The Streetfight

Postby Paladin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 pm

These are obvious, but a good compilation of distinctions:

http://keith-owen.blogspot.com/2014/12/ ... a-and.html
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

JasonNorin

Re: MMA vs The Streetfight

Postby JasonNorin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Well, the article pretty much sums up the difference between MMA and street fighting. It is unfair for other people to tag MMA matches as organized street fights when fighters pour out too much time and effort in order to excel in their chosen sport. But I do understand their opinions about MMA as the said sport is still in its infancy - very prone to unfair judgements. But I do believe time will come when MMA will be widely accepted by everyone, not just combat sports enthusiasts..

exeter

Postby exeter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Bottomline is, MMA has rules while street fights don't.
One is about controlled aggression; the other is about survival.

jawad

Postby jawad » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:23 am

i like mma because of its style and temprament!

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 pm

exeter wrote:Bottomline is, MMA has rules while street fights don't.

This is true, but it would be inaccurate to think MMA training would be rendered moot automatically in a street fight. I used to get into bar fights all the time, and I found having a background in fight sports helped in a number of ways. I am of the belief that the "controlled aggression" in MMA is capable of translating well in application to "survival". That being said, a CCW and a "clean cut" middle-class nice guy appearance (for when the law turns up) is probably the best form of self defense I've ever seen.

Pretty much anybody who brings up self defense in discussion with me IRL, I immediately recommend them to read Meditations on Violence by Sgt Rory Miller. Excellent eye-opener. And for those training in martial arts, Geoff Thompson's book "Animal Day" is a must.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Squirrel

Postby Squirrel » Tue May 03, 2016 10:10 pm

True to an extent but even in a self defence situation the appropriate use of force is very important.

Even if you're defending yourself from an attacker, if they are unarmed and you disable them by hitting them in the head with your umbrella, you are potentially liable for assaulting someone with a weapon. If they then fall and hit their head on the pavement and become injured or die you are potentially liable.

So while one is definitely about survival first and foremost, there still needs to be control and appropriate escalation.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

Squirrel wrote:

True to an extent but even in a self defence situation the appropriate use of force is very important.

Even if you're defending yourself from an attacker, if they are unarmed and you disable them by hitting them in the head with your umbrella, you are potentially liable for assaulting someone with a weapon. If they then fall and hit their head on the pavement and become injured or die you are potentially liable.

So while one is definitely about survival first and foremost, there still needs to be control and appropriate escalation.

Which one learns about in self defense classes, not in MMA.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Squirrel

Postby Squirrel » Thu May 05, 2016 1:06 am

pathfighter wrote:Which one learns about in self defense classes, not in MMA.

Indeed. Another interesting point is that outside of combat sports and self defence is combatives, which requires a different paradigm again.

All are going to cross over into each other, which is why people trained in combatives teach self defence and why people trained in MMA teach combatives, but if you have a specific goal you need to train for that specifically.

speedy

Postby speedy » Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am

Also in MMA they are trained where most street-fights are with average joes.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Fri May 06, 2016 2:32 am

.[/quote]

Also in MMA they are trained where most street-fights are with average joes.[/quote]

This is a definitive point, training makes a hell of a difference. Average joe isn't used to being manhandled and hit multiple days a week, learning how to roll with a punch, not panicking etc. In my experience that experience of training makes the biggest difference. Most Friday night street brawlers think that they're hard until they meet somebody that deals with them with little effort and without the bravado.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”