Best knife training material?

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Jamopy

Best knife training material?

Postby Jamopy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 am

I'm looking for suggestions. Any style, any experiences you have, any recommendations.

:)
The ravens circle above our prows
And our chant is the song of the sea.
They hear our oars by a thousand shores
And they know that the North is free.

bpc

Re: Best knife training material?

Postby bpc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:08 pm

I found these guys through Jesse. I'm very sad to be moving out of state in a few weeks as these guys are VERY much the real deal.

Super nice guys too who will work with you on price:

HIGHLY recommend them:

http://combativefightingarts.com/classinfo.htm

SteveTaylor

Postby SteveTaylor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Not sure where you are based but around here (South England) there are various schools that teach knife combat from Fiorre and Talhoffer's schools (medieval hard cases who actually fought to kill people with knives).
Training priority for combat sport is SKILL, CONDITIONING, STRENGTH.
I swear I will smash your face in with a brick if you keep arguing!

log
SCA intro

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 am

BPC's group is associated with the AMOK crew and Tom Sotis. They're all good. There are a number of other really good guys out there, but they can be hard to find. If you let us know what area you're in, we probably can find you some. There are a phenomenal number of traditions involving blade usage, but most of them are out of "style" and they don't teach very publicly.

I personally also recommend that you go to http://coreconcepts.forumotion.co.uk/ and try to contact Mick Coup. He's also on facebook under the same name. He doesn't just do knives and knives aren't his main thing, but I'd personally give a lot to train with the guy. There also some other really good knife/combatives guys in the UK.

sculls

Postby sculls » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 am

Best knife training manual is a book on sprinting. :mozilla_wink:
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 am

Hey, Skulls. :P

If you're looking for materials like DVD's or Books instead of personal instruction (always less helpful), then I'd really take a look at Michael Janich's DVD's, Bob Kasper's book "Sting of the Scorpion" (amazon), "Do or Die" by A.J. Biddle (For free various places on the net), "Cold Steel" by Styers (Free on the Net), and Get Tough by Fairbarin (also on the net). If possible, keep your focus on people and methods that are absurdly simple, very intense, and very realistic. You can get nuggets of truth from other types of knife studies, but I'd rather get bigger chunks without the fluff. YMMV.

Jistuason

Postby Jistuason » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I carry the survive Knives gso5.1 the steel is awesome the quality is over the top just a tad big for my need the 5 would have been perfect I think, yet it is still the best i have ever tested. and it is good to use as a training knife.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:48 am

I looked into Libre Fighting some time back and ended up purchasing the DVD set.

I'm still on the fence as to Unless You are the Attacker how useful some of this stuff is. I've looked at tonnes or real CCTV footage of Knife attacks and there is nothing fancy or anything related to fine learned motor skills - it all seems to be FMV ( f###### Massive Violence ) gross skills involving the attacker latching on and then repeatedly 'sewing machine' attack - unless you have a proven way to defend at that at really really close ranges from what most likely is a covert attack I think you're pretty much screwed.

On FB look at 'Libre Fighting' and for more real world ( quite graphic ) applications at both ends - 'Eds Manifesto'

Best defence against a Knife I reckon is being no where near it.

I think if you have access to someone that is willing to 'knife' spar with Big Thick Red Marker Pens and White T-shirts the lessons learned in terms of distancing and reach may well serve you well.

Libre Fighting actually Have a chapter in London http://www.librefightinglondon.co.uk/

HTH

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 pm

I've connected with Ed a bit and am hoping to attend a Black Box in 2017.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:53 am

Jesse wrote:I've connected with Ed a bit and am hoping to attend a Black Box in 2017.

Nice. If I was your side of the Pond I'd definitely be looking to do the same.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”