Home Preparedness

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
RevGunner

Re: Home Preparedness

Postby RevGunner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks I'll check that out when I get home. I have a Terra byte external hard drive I could store all that and everything else on it. It was a Black Friday deal a couple of
Years ago.

Another thing I'm thinking is keeping a duplicate of all this info along with a start up cache in another region of the country. I have a place in North Carolina that is safe. I'm thinking big disaster. Tornado, Earth Quake, something that's going to distrupt the infrastructure short term.

I work in the banking installation business. We went down to New Orleans after Katrina. It was six weeks after the Storm before we started pulling safe deposit boxes out of bank vaults. That means it was that long before you could get into your box. We moved them all to a central warehouse miles from their original branches. Up to 30 in some cases. And those vaults and boxes ain't air or water tight so everything in them sat in water.

That's when I decided the bank ain't all that safe. And most homeowners won't cover the contents. And the bank takes no responsibility.

I'm just putting that out there for the guys that think a safe deposit box is the way to go.

RevGunner

Postby RevGunner » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 am

Alright it's Sunday I'm back home and taking stock of my home preparedness. I forgpt all about my swimming pool in the backyard. So I have at least 15,000 gallons of water on hand.

My doors are all new heavy duty. Just installed them a month ago. Also new heavy duty lockable screen doors. Every hinge screw, deadbolt screw etc. is three inches long and steel. Never use drywall screws except for drywall. They don't have near the strength as real metal screws.

I don't store everything in my gun safe. I actualy have One cheap gun safe That wouldn't take a whole lot to pry open. I also have a another smaller one that is more secure. That's where documents and pistols go. It also has a digital combo on it so it's way easier to access. The purpose of it is to keep anyone that's in a hurry from taking the time to bother with it.

In the bottom of my office closet I'm also going to install another small heavy duty safe that will be my ammo dump. I can also store seldom needed documents in here as well. The safe I have for it has two doors with dial combos. It will be bolted to the floor like the rest.

My high value weapons like my AR and my Remington 700 sniper rifle are stashed in hidden places. Being part carpenter helps a lot. Burgulars in a hurry aren't going to be taking cabinets apart and looking for stuff hidden in walls.

As far as stock piling food for a disastor. I'm working on it. I'll do great if I want to live on beenie weenies and spam. I also have a stockpile of antacids stored up as well.

Stuff I need to work on? Alternative heat. I'm not screwing with a generator. Number one. There are better and easier ways to heat your house. I don't want to be a slave to the engine. I may renige on that philosophy in the future but that's where I stand now. I have a small house. 1,000 square feet. Not a lot to heat. I figure throw a tent up in the living room pile up the sleeping bags snuggle up with the wife and dog. Couple of paint can heaters should be sufficient. That's short term. Long term? I don't know. I want to avoid being a slave to fuel.

Other stuff. Fire supression. I need more fire extinguishers. I need one in every room. I'm also going to have to get some sort of defense against chemical spills or accidents. I live a half mile from a major interstate with people transporting god knows what on it. And a mile and a half from a major rail line that has a history of derailmants with major chemical spills and clouds not far from here.

This is a link to a youtuber that really has his shit together. He does excellent comprehensve videos on all areas of preparedness. This guy is good. Pay attention to him.
The linked video refers to bugging in. I wish I had half the set up he has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RjteHkZMCM

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey Rev, really good stuff.

Regarding alternative heat, we've got a wood stove with a 16' indoor stove pipe, that makes for a radiator. It's in our high celing living room, that's in the middle of the house and heats the whole place 2600sq' pretty well.

I have a propane generator and some propane, but I have it mainly to keep the freezer and frige going if the power goes down in the warmer months, so we don't lose the meat, etc. We'll eat it down, then not use the generator much at all.

What we did a while back was make a priority list, and make a plan, then work the plan. Otherwise it can get a bit overwhelming. So we have shelter, water, food, protection, and we're in the fine tuning stage right now, adding to our FAK's, getting a few new fire extinguishers, buying more stuff for barter, adding to our skills, fine tuning our team and their commitment and relative responsibilities and contributed resources.

I've got firewood to get us through 2 full winters, but would eventually like to up the stock to about double that.

[edit to add] We're lucky to be on a septic system, so if we lose county water service, we can still use the drains, flush the toilets, and so on. That's a relief not to have to provide for chemical toilets or their equivalent.
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

RevGunner

Postby RevGunner » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:31 am

Enough heavy duty tarps to cover your roof. I learned that the hard way once.

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:08 pm

RevGunner wrote:Enough heavy duty tarps to cover your roof. I learned that the hard way once.

What are the tarps for?
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

RevGunner

Postby RevGunner » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Storm damage. Shingles ripped off, tree branch through the roof. Several things. You need to get that baby covered before water starts coming in.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:24 am

Just a note, but...

http://www.ready.gov/

FEMA has been endorsing the preparation of home kits for a while. This is a polite way of saying, "if it all goes bad, we won't be there to help you for quite a while."

Combatant

Postby Combatant » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 pm

This has been a really interesting thread. Often these topics can end up being very unrealistic and full of fantasists. Some very good advice on here.

I've had a very simple kit for some time now. A box with batteries, torches, glow sticks, an wind up radio, camping stove, gas, candles, a hatchet, bowie knife, survival book, and puritabs.

On top of that I have all my bushcraft, and camping gear (tents, tarps, bottles, cookers etc.) in another room aswell as plenty of weapons for if the shit really hits the fan. Although they are part of my collection and not bought for that purpose. We arent allowed firearms (easily) in the UK so I am restricted to knives, machetes, batons, and axes. I also have a 22 air rifle which could be used for hunting small game.

We always have our cupboards and freezer stocked up which should last a while, but water is one thing that we need to sort.

After reading all this though I think its time to start backing up documentation etc.

ato

Postby ato » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:12 am

Jesse wrote:Just a note, but...

http://www.ready.gov/

FEMA has been endorsing the preparation of home kits for a while. This is a polite way of saying, "if it all goes bad, we won't be there to help you for quite a while."

When I lived in Asia with my family during the bird flu scares, a letter was circulated amongst the expats instructing us to have food and water for 6 weeks in case an epidemic shut down everything. We were expected to lock ourselves in. 6 weeks- that's a lot of supplies for a family of four. Ironically (or not surprisingly), there was no mention of accumulating weapons in case order broke down.
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:21 am

Well, let's face it, many Asian countries have much more cohesive civil societies than the USA. they also have police and military forces who are deployed in large scale crowd control against the local populace far more often than their American counterparts. During let's asay, a weather emergency or even an epidemic there may be much less civil disorder and looting than an equivalent event in the USA.

Furthermore, expats in Asia are by their very nature in a different country. A country where the second amendment to the US constituition doesn't mean shit. Let's face it, Americans are forever shooting themselves or even worse, innocent trick or treaters (or whatever) with home defence firearms. If you're not obeying local laws on weapons you're at risk of causing an international incident as well as a regrettable accident. Now, if you wrote some stupid shit down about arming up and after the accident it comes out that you've essentially incited someone into arming themselves and adopting a 'ready to go' posture. Well, in the USA you'd probably face a lawsuit but in parts of Asia I think it might get a measure worse.

So I don't find much ironic about it, really.
Read Chomsky

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”