Home Preparedness

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
ato

Re: Home Preparedness

Postby ato » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 am

No irony then. Living in Japan at the time, disaster preparedness was part of everyday life. Shit was always expected to hit the fan, just no breakdown in social order or need for weapons. Now back in the US of A, there is a sense of a citizenry living under siege by criminals or the government. This level of paranoia can't be healthy.
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

Combatant

Postby Combatant » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 am

The London riots showed us just how little power the police has when things go bad. When the storys came out about what happened to very innocent people it made me think more along the lines of protection for me and my family more so then ever.

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 am

The London riots showed us just how little power the police has when things go bad. When the storys came out about what happened to very innocent people it made me think more along the lines of protection for me and my family more so then ever.

the police were NOT deployed in force during the first nights of the british rioyts. there was massive underestimation of the level of misbehavior. Personally I think it was due to two factors: firstly the cops are coming off confrontations with the anti globalization crowd who are much more polite and much less given to looting... and secondly, the situation originally arose out of a perception of racist brutality. that gets the cops attention post Steven Laurence and rightly so.

if they wanted to they could have gone in and crushed heads and it would have been intimidating as hell. Really, how many charging riot cops backed by horses does it take to rout a bunch of 17 year old industrial arts students?

Not that many. It would have been bloody, nasty, brutal and it would have laid the charge of overreaction and brutality at the cops' door AGAIN. they didn't want that, I mean, whta's the point of just smashing children up? What do you win? Of course by the fourth or fifth day I think most people In Britain were wishing these delinquents had been stomped on the first night.

If you want to see an example of how vast and far reaching police power is in the UK then look at the policing of football matches. Every week there is a huge public order policing challenge in every British city yet football violence has dropped hugely.

Let me put it this way, sooner or later in the next couple of years there will be another moment where riots look like they are going to happen. The British police will smash the fuck out of whoever even looks like they are going to step out of line. People will get the picture.

This isn't the 70's or even the 90's. The technology and know how available to law enforcement these days is fucking crazy. The balance to that is oversight e.g. the public will to see young people getting beaten on live TV because they made a dumb decision. Well, you can discount that from now on, everyone in the UK would love to see rioters get their come uppance, myself included.

Speaking of which...

Let's take a look at the other extreme. these folks essec=ntially can't beat, not because they are grown men or veterans, but because they have a grievance they won't drop. A political solution had to be found. The rioters in London had none of that, they just need a spanking.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qhIZ8Px9Sc&feature=related[/youtube]
Read Chomsky

Combatant

Postby Combatant » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 am

Well put, and I can't really dissagree with any of it, so I hope my origional post didn't seem like I was. I don't hold anything against the police, there hands were tied by stupid laws designed to protect the assailants rights, they were underfunded, undertrained, and unpepared for it. The point I was trying to make is that many people think that its the job of the police to protect them, and that that service will be 100% reliable as and when they need it. And its a very nieve view at that. Its generally the polices job to deal with the crime after it has taken place. Its too late when your family are hurt, your house is burnt down, and your stuff has been stolen. I'm in the emergency services myself and have seen the devastation that can be caused by arson.

I put my personnal protection in my own hands and am perfectly capable to do so as are most of the people on this forum.

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 am

Fair enough, I see what you're saying there. What branch of the emergency services are you in? My cousin is an ambulance driver in South Wales and his stories are just hair raising.
Read Chomsky

Combatant

Postby Combatant » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 am

I've been a firefighter for seven years. That said I reckon the ambulance service have rough deal as they have to deal with 'people' under the influance of drugs/alcohol, I would much rather go into a burning building then do that on a regular basis.

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm

That's one of the hardest parts of the job according to my cuz. He describes this drug that is used on opiate overdose victims. It instantly negates the effect of opiates so they resurrect to full consciousness after previously being minutes from death. It's very common for them then to take off barefoot or naked down the street, screaming abuse at the guys who took away their high.
Read Chomsky

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:41 am

I'll stick my hand up as a UK based exponent of what I like to call Pragmatic Self Reliance - I don't feel a need to buy in to a host of Conspiracy theories , take a religious or political standpoint or reach for a Tin Foil Crash helmet to protect myself but I have taken steps , training and objectives to achieve a more ready state of Independence and self awareness to things that may and sometimes can go wrong.

I feel I can do all of this whilst acting rationally , sane and without a Chicken Little Mentality to such possible and hypothetical situations.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”