Aggressive dogs!?

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Nevergiveup

Re: Aggressive dogs!?

Postby Nevergiveup » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:46 am

My neighbor was attacked by a 115 pound male lab 3 weeks ago and the dog belong to the family - it came close to killing him and he is not a small man. Several things I learned from this:

1. If you encounter a dog that ever shows aggression toward you, either get rid of the dog immediately (no matter how much you feel attached to it) or change your route to avoid it. You may avoid an attack once but don't count on it happening twice.

2. Dog attacks happen in a flash and are very fast. Most people will not be "ready" for the attack. If you are attacked by more than one large dog, you are toast.

It would be in your best interest to carry a large walking stick. I cannot imagine a cop who would bother you about that if your out walking with your family. The stick would be useful in keeping a distance between you and the dog.

Mainstream

Postby Mainstream » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:29 am

I once blew cigarette smoke right into the face of a charging pit bull...i know it sounds stupid to place my face anywhere need his face...but I just somehow knew it would work and it did..he ran off and felt like Mcgyver man....

xJOHNx

Postby xJOHNx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:28 am

I carry a knife and a xenon flashlight when I go out training to the playground. Everybody let's their dogs loose, I love dogs, but some are seriously bad raised.

And putting a vest/sweater around your arm isn't going to do jack shit. The pressure a pitbull or Amstaff is able to develop with it's jaw is enough to severly fracture your forearm in a very nasty way. As someone already said, the viciousness of animals cannot be known.

Best thing to do is search for higher ground, stand tall, make alot of noise and kick it with the heel of your foot in the face. Don't place your foot into their mouth though.

And try to control your fear/shaking, they can smell it.

xJOHNx

Postby xJOHNx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:35 am

Just thought of this while I was training at a park after sundown.

How about deodorant? That stuff sting in the eyes and nose, could possible stop an attack or no?

Mainstream

Postby Mainstream » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:13 am

I definitely think deoderant would work...anything that stings or hurts them could prevent an attack....

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm

If you're going to actually carry deoderant around with you, you might as well just carry ammonia instead.

xJOHNx

Postby xJOHNx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:53 am

Yeah probably. I train at the park often, so I only had my backpack with me. But a bottle of ammonia it has become!

bpc

Postby bpc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Do you throw the entire bottle at the dog while he's charging or open the bottle up first?

That could take a few too many seconds no?

bowlie

Postby bowlie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:45 pm

ive heard people say 'i will just run at it, im much bigger and heavier than it' well i caught a bit of frozen planet the other night where a wolf was fighting a buffalo. if a charging buffalo doesn't do much damage, a charging human will do nothing. dont charge.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:50 am

bpc wrote:Thanks, I'll look into that!

Do you throw the entire bottle at the dog while he's charging or open the bottle up first?

That could take a few too many seconds no?

A spray bottle. Shoot some ammonia at its muzzle.

jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”