concealed carry

A place to discuss self defense, weapons, and related topics
Jesse

Re: concealed carry

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am

Honestly, I don't know. I'd imagine it would depend on the construction of your handgun. You'd have to do some research about how susceptible it would be to breakage of the pin.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 am

speedy wrote:To each is own. To be honest I rather have this:

A knife may be the WORST self defense weapon. Re easy to kill with, but hard to incapacitate with. Have to close range to use, putting yourself at risk.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Faust

Postby Faust » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Jesse wrote:some research about how susceptible it would be to breakage of the pin.

That's what I thought.
But I really can't find any reliable info about this.
I guess trial and error will be my way to go.
I'm really new to shooting guns, so I will keep asking questions.
The receiver makes the massage.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 pm

pathfighter wrote:
speedy wrote:To each is own. To be honest I rather have this:

A knife may be the WORST self defense weapon. Re easy to kill with, but hard to incapacitate with. Have to close range to use, putting yourself at risk.

However it is easily concealed which leads it to be regularly included. Not everything can be a shotgun, and you can't physically carry beyond a certain point. You'll have to make a judgement call how much you cram into your pockets...and a knife works well. Everything has it's limitations. You don't want to count too much on any one thing. That being said...why would you not carry a knife if you're seriously worried about self defense? It covers some basics handily, moonlights as a tool that can save your life (tons of stories about cutting yourself out of danger), and is fairly useful if you find yourself at close range through no fault of your own.

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 pm

My precision shooting gets better with training. But when I try to shoot fast, my accuracy lacks a lot. I'm sure with training I will improve (as with everything), so I want to train smart. I'd love to get some pointers from you gun savvy members!

tatertot

Postby tatertot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 am

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire. It doesn't cost you anything, and helps burn a good trigger press into your muscle memory.

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:33 am

I also want to work on aiming with both eyes open and not seeing double when I do. I heard it just takes practice practice practice and one day you see the single image. How long did it take anyone on here?

4eyed_Sam

Postby 4eyed_Sam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:18 pm

I have taken a few pistol classes but am I by no means an expert.

First I'd like to point out that training and practicing are two different things.

You take training to know what and how to practice.

Second, it's important to distinguish between fundamentals and techniques.

Fundamentals are the skills developed to maintain hits on target, technique is the delivery system of your fundamentals.

So you can hit the bullseye all day long which means you have good fundamental but if you are holding the pistol wrong (technique) you are limited at the speed of which you can make accurate hits.
Last edited by 4eyed_Sam on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4eyed_Sam

Postby 4eyed_Sam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Faust wrote:My precision shooting gets better with training. But when I try to shoot fast, my accuracy lacks a lot. I'm sure with training I will improve (as with everything), so I want to train smart. I'd love to get some pointers from you gun savvy members!

It could possibly be your grip. You can only shoot as fast as you can see your front sight. Proper grip allows you to get the front sight on target faster and enables you to better control the recoil.

Faust

Postby Faust » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 am

4eyed_Sam wrote:
Faust wrote:My precision shooting gets better with training. But when I try to shoot fast, my accuracy lacks a lot. I'm sure with training I will improve (as with everything), so I want to train smart. I'd love to get some pointers from you gun savvy members!

It could possibly be your grip. You can only shoot as fast as you can see your front sight. Proper grip allows you to get the front sight on target faster and enables you to better control the recoil.

That could very well be the case. I'm experimenting on it. Thank you for the hint!

Btw, lately I'm in love with the olympic 50 m .22 pistol as well. To me this seems to be the formula 1 of precision shooting.

Return to “Weapons and Tactics”