nighttime rescue

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
RepublicJim

Re: nighttime rescue

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Going through archives on my old computer, I just stumbled upon this link to a video from the spring of 2013. The creator of the video is obviously an experienced hiker, based on all his other videos, but he made some critical mistakes in our county that got him in trouble. He was able to walk out on his own once we lightened his load and got him back on the trail, but he was exhausted, dehydrated, borderline hypothermic, and just starting to veer away from the correct route when we reached him.

https://vimeo.com/63699591

This turned into the first actual rescue I actively participated in after joining SAR in the summer of 2012. It became known informally as the "Yogi Mission". I was with the hasty team that met Terry and helped him down the trail. I'm the bearded one wearing a black hooded jacket in a couple of brief scenes.

The steep, hurried climb on snowshoes (and the descent while hauling his gear) really kicked my butt. It was all I could do to stay close to our team leader, and I was tired and sore for a couple of days afterward. It is nice to know that over four years later this would be much easier today due to improved fitness!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am

Good find man. It's always nice to have a record of progress. I know why you are so pleased with your fitness-- it's not just a matter of comfort, but of safety and survivability.

My first couple of alpine climbs helped develop my philosophy of fitness for mountain and adventure travel. I often found that I was at the ragged edge of my abilities. This led to tunnel vision, navigational errors, poor judgement, not to mention a narrow envelope for physical survival if shit went wrong. With few exceptions, I now aim to be fitter than the climb. I recall a recent adventure when a landslide forced a detour that added 7 miles to my route, taking it from the expected 20 to 27. I was able to settle back into aerobic mode, dig into my emergency food stash, and plow through.

Gonna look into joining a SAR team. Been thinking about it for a while-- this thread is a good nudge.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

bklynfirefighter

Postby bklynfirefighter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 pm

I would love to do that
Years ago when I lived where we got enough snow, I used to x-country ski, and it's great exercise and I'm sure snowshoeing is as well
People doing these activities is real world exercise, unlike just exercising in a gym

Return to “Current Events”