Outing to NYC

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
speedy

Outing to NYC

Postby speedy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:28 am

I am a CT resident that has been to NYC many times in my life so not completely unfamiliar with NYC. But each time I went there was for a reason: Broadway show; China Town; shopping with my mother; job; job interview; etc.

As a divorced parent my fiance suggested I take her to NYC one day just to do whatever; not to go see a show or anything like that but just to do something fun. I like the idea. I was thinking that Time Square obviously, that shopping area down the street from the train station.

Also I will NOT be driving in: train only! So thinking the best way to possibly get to China Town and question is it like how I remember it in the 80's. Probably not.

I do want to visit GC (Guitar Center) in Time Square for I always see it from outside but never had the time to go in. Also I am NOT making this a music venture for my kid isn't into it like I am BUT she is into vinyl so a cool vinyl store would be cool and thinking of that comic book store I always see from afar when I head towards Time Square on a 2nd level. Also I heard FAO Schwartz is out of business which sucks. In addition thinking of eating somewhere else besides Bubba Gump Shrimp.

I will be doing my Google searches and what not but I am sure we have NYC residents as well people very knowledgable in regards to NYC. BTW she is currently 13 will be 14 in March.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

speedy

Re: Outing to NYC

Postby speedy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:46 pm

Someone suggested this

From north to south it would go:

Sam Ash on 34th
30th Street Guitars
Bowery
Noho (north of Houston)
Soho (south of Houston...Rudys)
NoLita (north of Little Italy)
Little Italy
Chinatown
TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal)
Brooklyn Bridge

That's a lot of distance to cover. Sam Ash and 30th Street aren't particularly close to Bowery. Maybe 30ish blocks plus a bunch of avenues over.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

ato

Postby ato » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:55 pm

When are you going? If you are going anytime soon, Bryant Park's Winter village is nice for kids, it's got shops and a skating rink right by the NY Public Library. This is also close to Rockefeller Center. You can even visit Trump Tower. And if you're around Trump Tower, there's also Tiffany's or Nike Town. I would leave exploring little neighborhoods like Soho, Noho etc. to warmer weather visits to NYC, same with the Brooklyn Bridge. You don't want to be tramping around the slush. There's the Museum of Natural History/Planetarium on the UpperWest Side (nice destination for kids).
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 am

Waiting for the warmer weather so it's enjoyable to walk for blocks/miles.
Speedy Log

bklynfirefighter

Postby bklynfirefighter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:53 pm

speedy wrote:Waiting for the warmer weather so it's enjoyable to walk for blocks/miles.

A ride on The Circle Line is always nice.....it's on the west side of Manhattan by The U.S.S. Intrepid
You go around the Statue Of liberty, Ellis Island, up the East River passing under the Brooklyn Bridge etc, up the Harlem River near Yankee Stadium etc
A great way to see NYC

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Considering everything. Might be multiple visits for NYC is only a train or a car ride away.

But the walk between these sections of NYC is top priority.

Statue Liberty and possibly Empire State Building (but I hate heights) are an option for another visit.

Yankee Stadium only if I go to a game.

Broadway show is always an option and try to fit some Time Square time while I am there. You should have seen my daughters face when she saw the Naked Cowboy. I just said "I will explain later".

The tour bus I seen those but not sure if I am interested. It's not like this would be my first time in NYC. I been going since I was in single-digits and I am now 42.
Speedy Log

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 am

I really liked the Police Museum.

Return to “Current Events”