the big 50!

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
RepublicJim

the big 50!

Postby RepublicJim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 pm

So, Thursday I reached the dreaded half-century mark. I don't feel 50, but somehow it slipped up on me. Several people told me I look great for my age, and all attributed it to my working out, so obviously the effort is paying off. I'm fairly certain that my work capacity and aerobic conditioning are at least equal to - if not greater than - what they were when I was 40, and I know for sure that my overall strength is higher now than it has ever been. Of course, I'm still nowhere near where I want to be. I just wish I hadn't wasted so many years getting soft before I finally committed to getting fit.

Considering that I have only been training for just over a year, I'm happy with my progress and looking forward to still making gains for a long time. I have several ambitious goals for the coming year, all of which I think are reachable as long as I continue to train hard, consistently, and smart. If I even reach most of my goals I will be more fit and athletic than the vast majority of guys many years younger. The important thing though is just comparing myself to where I was before. It is so satisfying to see the fat melting away and my strength, endurance, and coordination all improving!

Today I did hill sprints and calisthenics in the woods behind my house, in a lightly falling snow. It reminded me of how I stumbled across rosstraining in the first place, and how I appreciate the varied opinions, outside-the-box thinking, and experience here on the forum. I enjoy weightlifting and HIIT in my barn, but I also deeply anticipate the occasional days when I can get out and train in the beauty of nature. I know from Ross' videos that he would agree. Thank you to all who share your thoughts and advice here. I now share your passion for training, and a milestone birthday certainly will not diminish that!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Faust

Re: the big 50!

Postby Faust » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Congratulations! I'm right behind you, on wednesday I turned 49, and if anything my training is what keeps me insane. Most people my age I meet can't keep up. When training is a habit, you're lightyears ahead of your average joe. I now see, I can't really compete with fit younger people anymore, still I seek to progress and become better. Even when becoming better means to not deteriorate.
Just keep doing what makes you feel good!

Btw, I did a set of 80 pushups (at 112 kg bw) on my birthday and knowing 99% of my students can't get near this number gives me a big ass grin, but you're spot on with comparing only to yourself. I am my own competition.
I worked up to this number for almost 3 month now, and that's a story of I against I only..
The receiver makes the massage.

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:45 pm

I'll be 47 in 3 months. Training is what keep me going through life. I can't imagine my life without it. It saved me from very bad things in my life for a quite few times. This is way to live.

Cheers, mate.

Zero the Hero

Postby Zero the Hero » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:51 pm

Keep up the good work!

50 is the new 30 if you play your cards right.

I'm in my early 40s and I love to break guys (cardio wise) sparring in the ring, cage or mat who are half my age.

It's amazing what hard work and consistency can do.

bklynfirefighter

Postby bklynfirefighter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:30 am

Congratulations RJ !
50 is a big milestone, more than just a number, it is a measure of wisdom and experience gained over your life
I'm 66 and exercise regularly
My workouts are not as intense now as they were several years ago but I still hit the heavy bag and workout on the rings etc in my garage
I can see now why staying fit is so important to your health and happiness
Fitness is your freedom to enjoy life and do what you want to do
I've had to adjust my attitude to the realities of growing older and the physical changes but exercise still feels good and is more important now than ever
Be smart about how you exercise and it will always be enjoyable
Getting injured when you are older means longer recovery times and downtime
Use your wisdom and experience to do workouts that are productive and sensible
It's also a good time to try something new, I got my rings when I was abut 53, a few years ago I bought some folding gym mats and do tumbling on them
Tumbling is great as it helps us to learn to roll and move in ways that we don't normally do
When I lived where there was snow, I used to cross-country ski.....I would love to do that again

Enjoy !

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Congrats, it's a great thing to stay in shape as you age. One of the saddest things that I've personally seen is people around my age (upper 20s) with kids sitting on the sidelines because they "can't run around like they used too". Most of them wouldn't know what to do with someone hitting 50 and still doing hill sprints. Your a great example to those around you, even if they don't say anything.
Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. - Jim Jarmusch

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Happy Birthday

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks guys! It's good to hear that there are others here near my age, or older, who are in great shape. That definitely encourages me to keep after it for the long term. I don't always enjoy the individual workouts, but I do always feel better for having done them, and I'm loving the extra energy and athleticism that I'm regaining after many years of slow decline.

bklynfirefighter wrote:It's also a good time to try something new, I got my rings when I was abut 53, a few years ago I bought some folding gym mats and do tumbling on them
Tumbling is great as it helps us to learn to roll and move in ways that we don't normally do
When I lived where there was snow, I used to cross-country ski.....I would love to do that again

Sounds like we share some interests. I already have rings in my "gym", although my strength and skills are still at the novice level. I plan to do much more ring work in the coming months. Pathfighter was kind enough to send me his copy of Overcoming Gravity, so I have an excellent source of training information. I'm slowly working on basic progressions.
I'm also exploring some basic Parkour techniques. Working on rolls, vaults, quadrupedal movement, rail walking, etc. is a fun way to do active recovery between heavy lifting sessions. I don't plan to ever run across rooftops and jump off, or do crazy flips, but the "simple" stuff is really improving my coordination and balance. And, I don't know of any other middle-aged guys in my area who can clamber over walls with any level of gracefulness, so that's a bonus. :mozilla_tongue:
I tried cross-country skiing for the first time last winter, loved it, and want to do a fair amount this winter. I have some old hand-me-down starter skis, and a 30-mile rail trail within a mile of my house. My gym includes an old Nordictrack ski machine, which I use frequently for quick whole-body warmups or for long, slow recovery sessions. I'm eager to get off the machine and get outside for the real thing. The forecast says 3-7 inches of snow on Thanksgiving, so hopefully very soon I'll be on the trail.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

bklynfirefighter

Postby bklynfirefighter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:03 am

You're ready to go !
I had no experience with rings when I started and eventually was able to teach myself to do a muscleup, front and back levers and a kip-up
It took me a long time as "Youtube" wasn't available with the tutorials but I finally got there :mozilla_smile:
I also bought a 1 1/2 " manila rope and got into climbing it.....fabulous exercise and a lot of fun

Paladin

Postby Paladin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Howdy RepublicJim. 58 here, and doing great. Like you've read, injuries come easier and heal slower, but that's about the only limitations, I've found. Here's a video from my 57th birthday, to show that life continues after 50...

https://www.facebook.com/793026660/videos/10153705569241661/?l=2193361040332153824

Good luck with your training!
Blessed be the Lord my rock, Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle! Psalm 144:1
For those who have hunted armed men, training will never be the same.
Help the children of fallen heroes: Please Donate: http://www.specialops.org/

Return to “Current Events”