Whos Your Favorite (all time) Bodybuilder?

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
zhorner

Whos Your Favorite (all time) Bodybuilder?

Postby zhorner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:42 am

No, this isn't a troll post. I know bodybuilding isn't really the usual forte of this forum but ive been drawn back to it recently with a new interest.
like many people when I first started training as a teenager it was from reading muscle mags and thinking bodybuilders were the pinnacle of athleticism :hand: . I got into powerlifting shortly after but always liked to research bodybuilding legends and keep current on whos who. Anyways, just wanted to see which bodybuilders are the board favorites! And please no "BB is nothing more than a glorified beauty pageant"...please just spare me.

So ill go first...To me, Mike Mentzer is my all time favorite. His physique IMO was the perfect balance of mass and aesthetics. He was the first to win the Mr. Universe with a perfect score in 1978 and also received another perfect score at the 1979 Olympia. He was an intelligent fellow and I really like the principles of his "Heavy Duty" training style...It's worth your time if you aren't familiar already. Seems he fell off the deep end later in life which is total sadness but thats the way it goes sometimes. Every time Mentzer gets brought up on BB forums half of the posters say things like "he was all juice...massive cycles with little training etc..." Riiiiiiiight :shifty:

Hardcase

Re: Whos Your Favorite (all time) Bodybuilder?

Postby Hardcase » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:11 pm

zhorner

Postby zhorner » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 pm

kind of figured it would go this way but hoped it wouldnt.

Mr. Churro

Postby Mr. Churro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:16 pm

I've never been big into bodybuilding, especially now a days with the gross freaks that these drugs are producing. However, I've always been a big fan of Franco Columbu. He represents us short folks, I'm the same height as him 5"5, and was not just a bodybuilder. I believe he was the national amateur boxing champion back in Italy when he was younger. He also was a very accomplished powerlifter and competed in strong man. Seriously you can find old videos of him deadlifting crazy weights. I've heard a number of stories of him out lifting his training partner Arnold on numerous occasions. So while I am a big fan, it's more so because of his athletic accolades rather than his bodybuilding feats.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:30 am

Mr. Churro wrote:I've never been big into bodybuilding, especially now a days with the gross freaks that these drugs are producing. However, I've always been a big fan of Franco Columbu. He represents us short folks, I'm the same height as him 5"5, and was not just a bodybuilder. I believe he was the national amateur boxing champion back in Italy when he was younger. He also was a very accomplished powerlifter and competed in strong man. Seriously you can find old videos of him deadlifting crazy weights. I've heard a number of stories of him out lifting his training partner Arnold on numerous occasions. So while I am a big fan, it's more so because of his athletic accolades rather than his bodybuilding feats.

Not to mention blowing up the hot water bottle and lifting a car in 'Pumping Iron'!

My fave was 'Brutal' Bertil Fox. Should have been Mr O. Back then bodybuilders were also athletes who could run and do loads of different things. Today it's an unhealthy thing.

Agree with the op though Mentzer was immense. Better than Arnold S, way better.

zhorner

Postby zhorner » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:48 am

Mr. Churro wrote:I've never been big into bodybuilding, especially now a days with the gross freaks that these drugs are producing. However, I've always been a big fan of Franco Columbu. He represents us short folks, I'm the same height as him 5"5, and was not just a bodybuilder. I believe he was the national amateur boxing champion back in Italy when he was younger. He also was a very accomplished powerlifter and competed in strong man. Seriously you can find old videos of him deadlifting crazy weights. I've heard a number of stories of him out lifting his training partner Arnold on numerous occasions. So while I am a big fan, it's more so because of his athletic accolades rather than his bodybuilding feats.

I was 12 years old when I started lifting weights, my dads friends gave me one of those multi exercise benches with lat pull down an leg extension/curl machines attached and a book (below) by franco. I read it over to cover and will forever be a fan because of that. I agree that bodybuilding was just better back then...the chemical monsters of today kill me. I hope that eventually it will go full circle and they will fall out of favor to guys more resembling Zane but I doubt it (the irony of him being nicknamed "the chemist" haha). The masses want to see a freak show so that's what they get.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 pm

The steroids were bad enough but relatively harmless compared to what they're doing nowadays; taking insulin and HGH and all that stuff. It's just turned into a drug fest nightmare with gargantuan cartoon figures. Making a mistake with something as dangerous as insulin is so risky as well.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:07 am

So many of the older ones were all far better than the modern breed.

Reg Park

Vince Gironda

Steve Reeves

John Grimek

Bill Pearl

Even George Hackschmidt who wasn't really a Body Builder per se had a amazing build.

Return to “Current Events”