Light deprivation blues

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
RepublicJim

Light deprivation blues

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 pm

This fall I find myself fighting symptoms that I thought I had escaped when I moved away from Portland. Constant dark, dreary, rainy days cause me to become lethargic and irritable. I don't think it quite reaches the level of full-blown seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but I definitely feel a difference in myself the longer it stays gloomy.
Most autumns and winters in Republic, WA tend to be okay for me, as we typically get much less rain and a lot more sunshine than the west side of the state. However, we just experienced the wettest October on record, crushing the record set in 1950 by well over a half inch! I think I have only seen the sun a couple of times for short durations in over a month.
I always feel better when I exercise, but I have been struggling to consistently get out of bed and do so. The constant drizzle and darkness just saps my energy and motivation and makes me want to stay in bed. Even with extra sleep I still feel tired and grouchy. I also drink too much coffee and eat more than usual.
Hopefully the forecast is correct. It looks like we may actually get a break in the weather and see some sunshine in the next few days. I certainly need it soon.
Does anyone else struggle with this, and if so do you have any practical tips for dealing with it?
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Arkann

Re: Light deprivation blues

Postby Arkann » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:39 pm

For me it is rooted in my vascular system responds. I get pretty bad headaches when the weather changes. And it can get very bad with rains and humidity waves. I tend to get gloomy and grumpy as a result. I just force myself to train through it and it helps. There are some remedies that help such as cool air (I need to keep cool environment at home), strong black tea, sweet treats (sugar), frequent walks, and just general moving around. I do force myself to clean a house or just to do something extra to regular routines.. something to initiate a blood moving around the body. Something to get the goddamn thing out system.

Another thing is.. and it might sound stupid.. but.. the music. Yes. Music. It does help a lot. But it is random and it comes out of blue.
I do listen Pandora stations on the regular basis. And there is always a tune, a melody, a song that clicks. And I feel some sort of complete recharge of my mind, my body, and my soul. And feel lot lot better. Much better.

Good luck!

sculls

Postby sculls » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:12 am

The only idea that comes to my mind is scheduling sun&beach type vacations when it's winter where you're living. Great recharge.

Other than that, maybe use measured doses of solarium sessions. I even got them prescribed by a dermatologist once. Said his profession usually is highly critical of artificial sunbathing but I am getting so little sun that in my case it's warranted. Staff at the place nearest to my home was very professional and helped me pick the softest settings and program. Was a clean place too, which is always good. I remember I researched home machines back then, but these were unsatisfactory. You'd have to constantly replace the tubes to be safe and other issues I can't remember. Reviews on amazon for all makes and models were unenthusiastic as well.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:03 pm

We're finally getting blue sky and sunshine! This morning we were socked in with thick fog, but it lifted just before lunch. I walked down into town to do errands at lunchtime, and was loving the dazzling sun. I feel more cheerful and energetic already.

As I said, we usually don't get long stretches of rainy, dark weather here. That was one of the factors that helped me decide to live here. Even in the dead of winter we typically will get 2-3 days of snow and then it gets clear and cold. Once there is snow on the ground it even stays relatively light at night, as any moonlight reflects off the ground. I know that a lot of people think I'm crazy, but I would rather have 10 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground than weeks of rainy weather and temperatures in the 40s.

FWIW, I did make it out to the barn yesterday for an evening workout, even though it was rainy and ugly all day. I cranked up the tunes and did a short but intense conditioning workout, which definitely made me feel better. Maybe tomorrow I'll even be disciplined enough to get up and do my training in the morning. It's difficult for me, but much easier when I get a decent daily dose of sunlight.

Anyway, the forecast is still showing at least partially sunny days for the next ten days, which would sure be a relief after the last month. I'm hoping that it is correct.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

sculls

Postby sculls » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:21 am

I get you. One of the few things I learned in the military is that cold per se is not a problem, rain in cold weather is.
Sport is specific, training is individual.

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

linguist888

Postby linguist888 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Always found overcast, rainy days to be very relaxing.
#GMOlivesmatter

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:10 am

linguist888 wrote:Always found overcast, rainy days to be very relaxing.

I have no problem with some rainy days, and do in fact sometimes enjoy the sound of rain on the roof. In fact, one of my best workouts recently was on a dark, cold morning when rain was pounding down so hard on my metal barn that it sounded like I was inside a drum. I cranked up some bagpipe music, stripped down to my shorts (no shirt, no shoes, no sanity), and had a really primal, intense session. Occasionally rainy days can have that effect.

However, what gets to me is constant, gloomy, drippy, day-after-day-after-day rain and gray skies. That was a big reason I left Portland, along with simply being sick of cities. I just didn't really expect a solid month of record rainfall here. Thankfully, we're finally back to plentiful sunshine and brilliant blue sky. I feel much better now. :mozilla_cool:

linguist888

Postby linguist888 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:24 am

It could just be that I'm weird. I grew up mostly in Washington State, and I must admit that the weather everyone who lives there seems to complain about is one of the things I miss the most. Living in Las Vegas, on the other hand. That had me depressed from time to time :D
#GMOlivesmatter

Return to “Current Events”