Rapid weight loss rant

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
finnegan

Re: Rapid weight loss rant

Postby finnegan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Congrats on your motivation and continued progress Jim.

Im back to training after a month off due to a staph infection that seemed to just get worse and then morphed into a lung thing. Awful, I felt just awful.

I have to call you out on something though my friend. If they are making life changes like more exercise and eating better dont fault them. In fact not only dont fault them but help them ! You lead the way ! Do an early morning "happy hour" before work consisting of some training of some type. Or do it immediately after work.

You mention comparisons after several months. That is the worst thing we can do. Some of us get 6 packs without trying, some can do 100 burpees in no time at all. It doesnt mean that if I cant then Im a loser or Im failing. Theres things I can do that others cant.

Keep doing you Jim but extend that hand and share what you are learning. You have accepted the blessing of a healthy life and seen how much fun and easier it is than the other way. Now help others and lead the way. :clap:

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:51 pm

finnegan wrote:Congrats on your motivation and continued progress Jim.

Im back to training after a month off due to a staph infection that seemed to just get worse and then morphed into a lung thing. Awful, I felt just awful.

Thanks, and I'm glad you're doing better. That really sucks when illnesses drag on and on.

I have to call you out on something though my friend. If they are making life changes like more exercise and eating better dont fault them. In fact not only dont fault them but help them ! You lead the way ! Do an early morning "happy hour" before work consisting of some training of some type. Or do it immediately after work.

You mention comparisons after several months. That is the worst thing we can do. Some of us get 6 packs without trying, some can do 100 burpees in no time at all. It doesnt mean that if I cant then Im a loser or Im failing. Theres things I can do that others cant.

Keep doing you Jim but extend that hand and share what you are learning. You have accepted the blessing of a healthy life and seen how much fun and easier it is than the other way. Now help others and lead the way. :clap:

Okay, consider me called out. Maybe I am being overly negative. I really do hope that they are making healthy life changes. However, my main point is that the nature of the competition encourages unhealthy temporary measures, not actual long-term changes. And, because of the complete emphasis on maximum weight loss, nobody is interested in healthy S&C workouts. Believe me, I've tried to convince coworkers, but the only ones who agree with me are those who are already fit and are not participating in the contest. It's disappointing to me that a hospital wellness committee would encourage this competition.

As for comparison, I was minding my own business, only comparing my results to my previous state. The contest organizers are the ones who got on me to join in and who have made the ignorant comments about my diet. They made the contest all about comparing weight loss of participants at the expense of overall fitness. You're right though; I'm going to step back and just let them do their thing without taking their bait of making comparisons. I will continue to get satisfaction from simply improving myself. Hopefully as my results become more visible it will make an impression on some of the quick-fix people and I can talk with them about healthy long-term change.

I appreciate the candid input. I'll do my best to keep it positive. Enjoy your return to training!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

dzab

Postby dzab » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Most people are ignorant and very easily mislead.

All the rapid weight loss/ muscle gain advertising works because its what people want to hear - I remember Ross did a youtube video on this (I think it was called slow and steady wins the race). The more people want to hear that message, the more advertisers perpetuate it, the more people think that rapid, drastic results are acceptable and even healthy.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:43 pm

You Jim are THE MAN.

Awesome to see someones success and ongoing progress. They will never admit it to you but you are most likely their inspiration. Dont think they dont notice " hey have you seen Jim? He looks great I think hes working out, we should too".

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:07 pm

You're doing the right thing man. Those fad things are for people who don't work out seriously. When you get into serious training like you are doing then you don't need that baloney.

Another thing is those people will almost certainly gain, any weight they lose, right back again and probably more after this thing in your work is over. See it over and over; people who don't train decide to go on diets, they lose a lot, some a little, but it all comes round again.

Reason is because they have not made a genuine heartfelt commitment to a better lifestyle.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:39 pm

Hardcase wrote:You're doing the right thing man. Those fad things are for people who don't work out seriously. When you get into serious training like you are doing then you don't need that baloney.

Another thing is those people will almost certainly gain, any weight they lose, right back again and probably more after this thing in your work is over. See it over and over; people who don't train decide to go on diets, they lose a lot, some a little, but it all comes round again.

Reason is because they have not made a genuine heartfelt commitment to a better lifestyle.

I'm revisiting this topic because our "wellness" committee just started round two of the competition. Most of the same people are participating again this time. Of course, as Hardcase said, almost all of them regained the weight they previously lost. One(!) person that I know of has continued to work out (not train, but it's a start), and I have done my best to encourage him. The others seem to have learned nothing from the experience.

What really blew my mind is that this time there are several participants who don't even have any weight to lose. When I questioned why a skinny person would take part in a weight loss competition, I was told that they needed "accountability" to stick to working out. I'm not sure what they think will happen after the contest ends in three months, or why they can't simply find long-term workout buddies, but I held my tongue.

Meanwhile, my weight fluctuates depending on my training and diet at the time, but I'm roughly the same weight as I was when I originally posted. I've now lost almost another inch off my waist, but my chest, arms, legs, shoulders, etc. are getting bigger. Everyone at work thinks I've lost a lot more weight than I actually have since my body composition has changed and I'm getting a flat stomach. I'm still nowhere near many of my goals, but I continue to make gradual progress, and it is showing.

I've resigned myself to once again ignoring discussions in the lunchroom for the next three months. It drives me crazy when people imply that they are eating healthier than I because they have a salad and I'm eating (lean, baked) pork and drinking milk! Maybe eventually I'll get noticeably fitter to the point that they will listen to my advice, but so far not much luck. Time will tell...
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:57 pm

i<3frankyang wrote:I once got told to drink a gallon of milk a day and squat three times a week by some fat guy from Texas. He kept muttering something about hip drive.

:mozilla_laughing: I'm glad I revisited this thread. At the time I didn't get this comment. Since then I have learned about Rippetoe, so re-reading this made me laugh.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

RepublicJim wrote: When I questioned why a skinny person would take part in a weight loss competition, I was told that they needed "accountability" to stick to working out. I'm not sure what they think will happen after the contest ends in three months, or why they can't simply find long-term workout buddies, but I held my tongue.

Oh man!!! These people you work with are clearly round the bend fruit loop's! Accountability can come only from yourself, from within.Everything else is not accountability. Responsibility comes from yourself, drive comes from yourself. The trouble with these people is they have everything the wrong way round. Anything from the external will not keep you exercising and training. Only having a desire from deep within yourself will do that. It's the same as these people who join the gym in the new year with the intention of weight loss and getting fit. They've usually lost interest by March and jacked it in!

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:11 am

Yeah, I just don't get it. The worst thing about it for already-skinny people is that they will be participating in something that encourages them to "eat healthy" (less calories) while doing more cardio. Some of them would really benefit from a good strength-building program instead, but they sure won't find it in a "biggest loser" group.

What's truly crazy is that these employees don't even seem to pay any attention to the guy who I consider the fittest employee there. He is our local high school track coach, and runs regularly. However, he has also worked out consistently with dumbbells and bodyweight for a couple of years with his wife and is in impressive shape. Although he weighs about 15 pounds less than I he is significantly stronger and also has better muscle endurance. He's currently trying to gain weight (obviously muscle). I respect his efforts and results, and I discuss training with him frequently. But do other employees go to him for advice? Noooo. Apparently "wellness" is all about losing weight! :doh:

I keep reminding myself that I didn't fully commit to fitness until last October. I guess some of my coworkers will just have to continue the binge/purge cycle for a while before they admit to themselves that it isn't working. Maybe then some of them will look to those of us who are in it for the long haul and are getting good results.

As I close in rapidly on my 50th birthday I'm just thankful that I made up my mind to change permanently, and that I am already in better shape than I was at 40. That, to my thinking, is actual wellness.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Well, the second round of foolishness ended recently, and I don't think there will be another. Most of the fat people lost a few pounds, but are still fat and weak. The "winner" of the competition was a young lady who started out weighing just a little over 100 pounds, lost over 10% of her weight, and is now really skinny and less-fit than she was before. Since the contest ended I have not noticed any desire by contestants to continue eating or exercising as they were. Obviously it did nothing to encourage long-term healthy lifestyles, just as I predicted from the start.

Meanwhile, I gained about five pounds over the past three months. My waist remained the same size, while my arms and legs are visibly bigger, and my abs are beginning to show more definition. All of my lifts have increased substantially over the same period. Obviously my body fat percentage is going down as my muscle increases, which is what I consider getting fit, even if a BMI chart still classifies me as overweight. I would have liked to have made more progress on conditioning, but my recent focus has been more on strength gains. As I get closer to where I want to be strength-wise I will put more emphasis on muscle endurance and other aspects of fitness. As long as I'm consistently training and making headway towards my goals, I'm happy.

I'm sure that as the new year looms my co-workers will revisit the whole concept of "getting in shape". Hopefully I can convince some of them that it is not an occasional event, but an actual lifestyle choice. The real problem is that it's hard. If it didn't take effort, everyone would be fit. However, since it is difficult, most people just don't stick with it for long. I'll do my best in the coming year to encourage and motivate them to actually train, as opposed to rapidly losing weight. At least as my body composition continues to improve it makes it harder for my friends and co-workers to argue that dieting is more effective than my method.

Return to “Current Events”