Rapid weight loss rant

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
RepublicJim

Rapid weight loss rant

Postby RepublicJim » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:04 am

Not quite sure where this topic fits, so I put it in this catchall category.

What is up with our country's fascination with rapid weight loss? Is it caused by "Biggest Loser" or is that show just an obvious symptom of the problem? Do that many people really think that losing large amounts of weight quickly is actually healthy?

This really got me irritated at work the other day when our "wellness committee" announced a weight loss competition. For crying out loud, I work in a hospital! Are they completely unaware of what is healthy and what isn't? Worse, a couple of committee members implied that I should participate. I told them that I wasn't interested, that I was actually trying to get more physically fit. That didn't sit too well with them. :mozilla_tongue:

Here's the thing: In four months of intense (for me) training I have only lost seven pounds, but I have lost nearly two inches from my waist! I have made solid progress in all my maximum lifts, bodyweight reps. sprint capability, etc., indicating that I am much stronger and fitter than I was. Obviously my increased muscle mass nearly offsets my weight loss from burning fat, accounting for the under two pounds per month loss. However, by the standards of the wellness committee I wouldn't even rate as competitive. By the very nature of the competition (cash prize for the "winner") they are encouraging people to do starvation diets and endless cardio for three months, as if that is any way to establish sustainable fitness.

During the course of those three months I expect I will only lose a few more pounds (probably around 5 if I hold to my current pace) while continuing to build strength, endurance, speed, agility, flexibility, coordination, etc., all while enjoying what and how much I eat. Meanwhile, we will have a bunch of staff suffering through dreadful "meals" and long, tedious workouts all so they can lose the most weight and develop"skinny fat" bodies. Once the competition ends I can almost guarantee that most participants will be so relieved that they will immediately go back to their old ways and start packing on the fat once more. Even if they don't, they will be weak and will need to continue eating tiny portions of rabbit food to maintain their losses. I'll gladly compare my overall "wellness" level to that of any of the participants at any time, even if my BMI says that I'm "overweight".

Why do people not get this concept? I would like to think that a wellness committee would concentrate more on teaching regular healthy activity and good nutrition as a lifestyle. They say that they are working on that, but the first thing out of the gate is this "Biggest Loser" stupidity. :mozilla_yell: Unbelievable! I'll just continue to do my own thing and let the results speak for themselves.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Hardcase

Re: Rapid weight loss rant

Postby Hardcase » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:20 am

These people are fuckwits plain and simple. They have no real concept of fitness and what it really is. They also have no real idea about wellness and what it is either. You can have lost inches from your waist, or wherever, and not be that much lighter, if at all, you might even be slightly heavier. All to do with if you're lifting and doing challenging BW stuff.

This BMI stuff is also a load of crap. It's a gross generalization that doesn't fit in with people who are regularly training and pushing themselves.

Yeah keep well away from those types that start trying to rope you into BS like that. Truth is if you're working out and putting in a good effort you don't need any of that crap.

i<3frankyang

Postby i<3frankyang » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:37 pm

I actually think for some short term crash diets have their place providing they are planned properly, trouble is most aren't.

Also, props on your weight loss Jim.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Its the problem you get when people use the scale or physical aesthetics as a measure of fitness.

Personally I love fish, chicken, beef, exotic meats. I love all kinds of vegetables and eat lots of them along with alot of fruit. I also love quality pastries and of course Ice cream. I eat what I want as far as those go but naturally my body tells me when enough is enough. After a tournament last year I ate an entire butter cookie cheesecake from trader joes. Great Idea at the time but it filled me up so much I ended up with no appetite for 24 hours.

I throw a 24 hour fast in usually weekly or every other week. Feels good and when I return to food it tastes so much better. Im doing alot of hiking and thats in addition to bjj training. If I feel like I am running on fumes I grab a banana or a chocolate chip cookie. The world does not explode over it.

I was very ill recently, down and unable to leave bed ill. Awful. I didnt eat for several days. Third day I was so hungry and craved McDonalds. So I enjoyed half a cheeseburger and a handful of fries (its all I could keep down). I hadnt been to McDs in years. You know what ? It was good. It got me to thinking that as far as food safety you never hear of food borne issues at places like McDonalds.

This isnt to be meant as an endorsement of it for daily eats, but heck I wouldnt want to eat anything every day (except steak and mashed sweet potatos- I could eat that every day).

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Great post Jim.

While on the topic the fad of "cleansing" bugs me. Hearing adults say they are going to consume only liquids for such amount of time because they need to clean out their body.

Wise ass that I am I always ask "is your liver on vacation? Because their aint no whole foods juice can hold a candle to the glory and efficiency of what your liver and body does daily". Then you get that look.

Im not talking about the morbidly obese or athletes who need to watch the scale like fighters, jockeys, or wrestlers.

i<3frankyang

Postby i<3frankyang » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 pm

finnegan wrote:Hearing adults say they are going to consume only liquids for such amount of time because they need to clean out their body.

I once got told to drink a gallon of milk a day and squat three times a week by some fat guy from Texas. He kept muttering something about hip drive.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:42 am

'm sure some people's bodies seek a weight homeostasis of sorts also. I know for me, I make gains in the cardio dept. and drop a bit of weight, then make gains in the lifting dept. and gain it back, in an endless cycle. My weight on the scales stays within about 6lbs range constantly, but my appearance changes and so does my work capacity and fitness.

I actually had it suggested to stop lifting and just do cardio in order to drop weight, but I dunno... Balance is good.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 am

finnegan wrote:
Im not talking about the morbidly obese or athletes who need to watch the scale like fighters, jockeys, or wrestlers.

Oh man, you're bringing back memories of laxatives, saunas, and long runs while wearing a trash bag to cut weight for ammy fights... I'm glad I don't have to do any of that for Jiu Jitsu.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:31 am

i<3frankyang wrote:I actually think for some short term crash diets have their place providing they are planned properly, trouble is most aren't.

Also, props on your weight loss Jim.

Agree. I'd still wouldn't aim to something shorter then 4-6 weeks, though. Just from personal experience. Smart calorie calculation, macro cycling, good choice of food and regular training do the job. I have lost 35lb over 9 months at some point of my life. But sitting on calorie maintenance with short cut cycles every few months is a known strategy. I would also add that age should be taken into consideration. What ever you can do and achieve at 25 might be dangerous approach at 50sh.

Overall, the goal is to enjoy your lifestyle. If you can eat, train, and feel good about yourself - just do it without worrying about your weight.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 pm

Well, the madness continues. Now approximately one third of all our employees are participating in the competition and they are still trying to recruit more. The cash prize for the biggest loser was just bumped up to $500, which in our extremely poor county is like dangling a pork chop over a pool filled with piranhas. That all but guarantees that participants will focus on trying to "win" by whatever drastic weight-loss measures they can rather than developing healthy habits. I expect that enthusiasm will wane as the misery sets in.

The idiots are already nibbling on salads and then going for group walks at lunchtime, as if that is going to last beyond the three month competition. Meanwhile, a few have made snide comments about my lunches and said that they are "trying to eat healthier". Of course, I'm working out like a berserker five days a week, eating a reasonable, balanced diet with an increased amount of protein (from a combination of meat, dairy, and nuts), and feeling great, but what do I know? Fortunately I have never concerned myself with the opinions of others (especially the ignorant ones) but the foolish self-righteous attitudes do get annoying.

It will be interesting to compare results not just in three months, but also six months, a year, and more. I personally doubt that anyone who needs the incentive of a possible cash prize to lose weight has the commitment or self-discipline to maintain the effort for the long haul. It takes a true decision of lifestyle change to see long-term results, and that requires long-term effort too. Some of the competitors may actually make that decision, but the nature of the competition (the emphasis on rapid weight loss over any other factors) makes that unlikely. Maybe I'll post monthly updates...
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Return to “Current Events”