Head Shaving

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
Hardcase

Head Shaving

Postby Hardcase » Fri May 29, 2015 12:58 pm

So this is for guys that shave their heads. How do you do it? Disposable razors? or open razor or electric shaver? Reason i'm starting this thread is for advice because i'm at the stage where i want to keep the sides all shaved off and not let them grow in. It doesn't grow much on top anyway due to male pattern baldness but the sides grow like crazy. I hate that style where the sides grow and the top doesn't and you have big wings growing out the side of your head! :mozilla_frown: :mozilla_laughing:

Anyway i thought i pretty much had it sorted with disposable razor and shaving foam. But today i notice my head a lot of bad little red cuts because i was using the same razor i'd been using for a while. They say use a fresh one for each shave but no way i could keep up to that expense all the time for razors!! I need to shave it about once every 3 days or so. Normally a razor for face shaving can last me about 2 weeks!! :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_cool:

So it seems there's 3 options either use a new razor every time or get an electric razor or say screw it and don't do it and let it grow in in between visits to the barbers. :think:

BTW the clippers that folks use are no good. They don't shave it right in to the skin but leave a little stubble. I don't want that.

speedy

Re: Head Shaving

Postby speedy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Depends on the clippers. For instance here in the US a person can get $20 clippers but you get what you pay for. Even the more expensive battery models will give you the same result as the $20 plug-in if you try to buzz close.

NOW...if you stop buying crap and want that close buzz cut then this WILL do it:
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-76076-010-C ... classic+76 Oster Classic 76

DON'T GET STICKER SHOCK! This brand/model has been around for years and there is a reason for that. I personally own this after spending month to month on buzz cuts for barbers and it pays itself off in no time. Also, I believe that Amazon has a England location/webpage so you items may ship from where you are.

Now, if you insist on blade well two things come to mind:
1. Head Blade
http://www.amazon.com/HeadBlade-ATX-Ter ... head+blade
Nothing amazing about it. Just the design makes shaving easier but many just use every day razors.

2. My boss uses this because of his lack of reach
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Body-Raz ... vid=razors
I personally think it's not worth it but he loves it.

Against the grain will be the only way to get 100% smooth. Old fashion double-edge (not twin blades) razors are the best IMHO short of a straight razor.

When the time comes for me I am going to use the 000 on my Oster Classic 76 or maybe get the 0000 which I read reviews that it shaves/buzzes as close as a razor.

But if you want to save money and replace blades each time then a Feather Blade and a good "Safety Razor" is a wise investment. If you do the math you can replace the blade each and every time and still spend less than what you get for a Gillette, Schwick and any other of those plastic craps.

Here are some links to clarify what I am talking about. Again you can find all of this on Amazon and a lot of stuff I order especially blades come to the US overseas so it might be cheaper for you in the long run.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php <--Fanatics in regards to shaving...anything.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Safety-Razors_c_8.html
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur- ... _p_37.html best razor for the money IMHO

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-Blades_c_7.html
You can get a sample pack of blades but my personal favorite is Feather.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-B ... ttribs=147 and you can still find the same blade for less money on Amazon.

One last thing. Electric razor is an option but I have used them for years and the fact is the quality of the shave is so lousy you are better off with the Oster Classic 76 or a good safety razor.
My log.Speedy Log

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Fri May 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks speedy. Yeah i used a Gillette plastic crap razor with the glide strip on it. The glide strip wore off and the shave this time was nasty with some red spots and cuts. First time i did it it was fine probably because it was a fresh razor.

The open razor looks the best but man i'd be too scared at this stage to use that in case i sliced my nut open!! :mozilla_laughing:

Here's the video i watched that i spoke about on the Hindu squat thread.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 pm

I just use an electric razor when I do it, but I haven't done it in over a year. I keep everything (beard and hair) cut down to the 1/4" comb length by cutting every week or so. It's nice and simple. A few times I have shaved it all off and just kept a goatee, but I started noticing that I was getting a "bubble" of clear space around me even in large crowds. I wanted to be a little more gray so I just grew it back in again.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Jesse wrote:I just use an electric razor when I do it, but I haven't done it in over a year. I keep everything (beard and hair) cut down to the 1/4" comb length by cutting every week or so. It's nice and simple. A few times I have shaved it all off and just kept a goatee, but I started noticing that I was getting a "bubble" of clear space around me even in large crowds. I wanted to be a little more gray so I just grew it back in again.

Yeah that's really what i was doing as well Jesse as i would go to the barber and get them to shave it all with a number #0 which is the razor itself. But i noticed that even though i was getting that done i still had the side bits looking more prominent than the top. So i thought "what the hell to do?" And i thought 'it's this short now why not shave it all off?'

I like the way it feels shaved right in but those cuts on my head look a bit unsightly after using a razor that had been used a few times. :mozilla_laughing:

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri May 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Don't be overly concerned about cutting yourself with those things. It's as common as a plastic. Just don't use pressure, let the weight of the holder do it's job.

Proper shaving cream is key. Anything in a can are crap. Sorry for those that use it, but it's the truth. I am not into spending a lot of time on prep, but if you want to do so there is something to be said about the soap/brush method in a cup. The alternative which I do is getting shaving cream from a health food store. The result compared to shaving cream in a can is night and day. Natural is the way to go. Also, shaving in the shower is a huge help! Something about the heat and constant water helps a lot. When I was forced to shave at a sink at the gym while waiting for our hot water heater to arrive, it sucked. So I have a shaving mirror in the shower and is always my method. If you go with the grain it's barely 5-minutes if that. Against the grain a good 5 minutes for the PROPER method is apply shaving lotion, shave with the grain, rinse off, re-apply shaving lotion then against the grain. Less irritation that way.

Also, that forum I referenced is filled with shaving fanatics similar to gripboard with gripper fanatics.
My log.Speedy Log

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 pm

speedy wrote:Don't be overly concerned about cutting yourself with those things. It's as common as a plastic. Just don't use pressure, let the weight of the holder do it's job.

Proper shaving cream is key. Anything in a can are crap. Sorry for those that use it, but it's the truth. I am not into spending a lot of time on prep, but if you want to do so there is something to be said about the soap/brush method in a cup. The alternative which I do is getting shaving cream from a health food store. The result compared to shaving cream in a can is night and day. Natural is the way to go. Also, shaving in the shower is a huge help! Something about the heat and constant water helps a lot. When I was forced to shave at a sink at the gym while waiting for our hot water heater to arrive, it sucked. So I have a shaving mirror in the shower and is always my method. If you go with the grain it's barely 5-minutes if that. Against the grain a good 5 minutes for the PROPER method is apply shaving lotion, shave with the grain, rinse off, re-apply shaving lotion then against the grain. Less irritation that way.

Also, that forum I referenced is filled with shaving fanatics similar to gripboard with gripper fanatics.

Yeah Gillette shaving foam in a can i used. Might be ok for face but not for head IMO. I remember my father used to use the old style double edged razors and the brush and shaving stick method for face shaving when i was young. I think that is better than the can foam stuff though i haven't ever tried it. Most people just buy canned foam for quickness but i don't think it's the best way for head shaving. That guy in the video i posted said forget the canned stuff 'cos it was no use.

When you shave your head it feels great and you don't want to go back to it growing in. I'll have to let it go for about a week though now cps of the red blotches i left with that blunt razor! :mozilla_surprised:

dzab

Postby dzab » Sun May 31, 2015 7:14 pm

+1 on the safety razor. I'm sporting stubble now so don't use it, but when I was clean shaven, I used a safety razor. Much closer shave than a disposable and you can by refill blades in bulk, super cheap.

I only used it on my face, but once I got the hang of it, I basically never cut myself. Don't think the learning curve to shave your head would be much steeper!

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:53 am

Hardcase wrote:...Yeah Gillette shaving foam in a can i used. Might be ok for face but not for head IMO...

Hair is hair. Can shaving cream is crap.
My log.Speedy Log

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:40 am

I'm thinking of not bothering with the actual razor and foam and just buzzing the head with this WAHL set of clippers i've got somewhere in the house here. I wanted it right in to the skin but it's too complicated with all this having to use a special razor and get special foam and do all this prep like that guy in the video. The whole idea of me shaving it right in was so i can forget about it and it was easy to do. Also i think you need to use a new blade/razor every shave otherwise you end up doing what i did and leaving big red blotches and cuts all over the place. :mozilla_smile: :mozilla_laughing:

Return to “Current Events”