Barber Shops

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
speedy

Re: Barber Shops

Postby speedy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:39 am

exeter wrote:In the long distant past, barbers used to double up as dentists and surgeons (the red and white barber pole represents this history).

Ambroise Pare, often called the father of modern surgery, began as a barber/surgeon. He served in the courts of Henry II & III, Francis II and Charles IX, back in the 16th century.

Henry M. Leland, the inventor of the electric barber clippers, also founded two classic automotive brands, Cadillac and Lincoln.

There is speculation that Sweeney Todd may have been a real person... though he may well have been a fictional representation of Victorian-era fear mongering :mozilla_undecided: :mozilla_laughing:

Also can be found by doing a Google search. :mozilla_tongue:

Wencor

Postby Wencor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:41 am

speedy wrote:
Also can be found by doing a Google search. :mozilla_tongue:
~Now, that's funny~

Luckily I cut my own hair & shave with a straight edge razor. :mozilla_smile:
But the best barber I went to for years was actually a woman. She cut way better than any man I ever went to. Although she was a lesbian and could have knocked the shit out of most of her clientele.
"Time is for moving forward, not making excuses!"

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:48 am

Straight Razor? Nice!!!

I love the straight razor but don't shave with it for there is "no room for error" with those things. So I took one step below it, the old fashion double-edge safety razors. Really affordable too and for $30 I have enough blades (Feather Blades to be exact) to last me for at least 2 years.

Skinsfan28

Postby Skinsfan28 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:20 am

A lot of areas have a health code ordinance that won't allow barbers to use straight razors anymore because of hepatitis, hiv, and other viruses and skin born pathogens that can be spread. I've done some research and get mixed results. I believe it can be done but the requirements are so restrictive and the fear of lawsuits have most barbers saying it isn't worth the hassle.
"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:36 am

Skinsfan28 wrote:A lot of areas have a health code ordinance that won't allow barbers to use straight razors anymore because of hepatitis, hiv, and other viruses and skin born pathogens that can be spread. I've done some research and get mixed results. I believe it can be done but the requirements are so restrictive and the fear of lawsuits have most barbers saying it isn't worth the hassle.

This is true. I had a conversation with a barber I used to see when living in my condo. He told me due to licensing and etc. it just wasn't worth it. The barber continue to say, instead he will do the line work with clippers, then let the person shave on their own using the line work he did as a guide.

However, if you were using a straight razor for personal use, then I would recommend those you have to re-sharpen for it doesn't get any better. But barbers are smart; those I see with the straight razors are now using the disposable version which the blade is nothing more than half of a double-edge razor which is the kind of razor I use for shaving.

Hardcase

Postby Hardcase » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 am

Here's a video of a straight razor shave of the face but also could be used by speedy and others for pubic area shaving etc. I say this because scroll down the comments and a guy asked if a straight razor would be good for shaving your balls! :mozilla_surprised:

bklynfirefighter

Postby bklynfirefighter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:26 am

When I lived back in NYC, I used to go to a Russian barber who would give me a flat-top using scissors ....and he did a great job
Where I now live, I have been to a few male barbers who were older guys and who should have worn glasses and had better lights, because they did lousy jobs.
I finally found a place where a woman gives me a great haircut every time.
The most enjoyable haircut I ever had was in The Phillipines while in the Navy.
The barber chairs had drink holes in the arms and you were served a frosty San Miguel by one of the cute Filipinas who worked there, clad in skimpy outfits.
Nothing like a cold San Magoo and a nice soft pair of tits rubbing against you....she definitely got a few extra pesos for her tip. :mozilla_laughing:
Then off to the strip for more San Magoo, monkey-meat and the lovely ladies.
Subic Bay....what a place, like dying and going to heaven :angelic-green:

Wencor

Postby Wencor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Straight Razor is great.

My Grandfather showed me how to use it. They used to practice on balloons covered in shaving cream. When you can shave the balloon without popping it, you are ready to try on the flesh. :mozilla_undecided:
"Time is for moving forward, not making excuses!"

speedy

Postby speedy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:00 am

Hardcase wrote:Here's a video of a straight razor shave of the face but also could be used by speedy and others for pubic area shaving etc. I say this because scroll down the comments and a guy asked if a straight razor would be good for shaving your balls! :mozilla_surprised:

Anything below the neck is strictly clippers; at least for me.

Thuggish

Postby Thuggish » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:48 am

Skinsfan28 wrote:I think a sex addict meeting would be a good spot to meet the ladies.

I believe Chuck Palahniuk covered this in a book called Choke over a decade ago.
"I'm not conceited, I'm convinced!"
-Ali

Return to “Current Events”