outhouse races

A place to discuss current events... All discussions must remain civil.
User avatar
RepublicJim
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Republic, WA

outhouse races

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 am

Yesterday at our town's Winterfest I competed in the outhouse races. For those who have not heard of this event, it consists of "outhouses" (they resemble real outhouses in much the same way that "stock cars" resemble production sedans) mounted on skis, with handles for pushing. Two members push it on a snow-covered course (ours is roughly 100 yards) while one person rides on the seat.

For the past three years I have helped organize the races and served as the starter. This year I finally felt ready for the challenge of sprinting in the snow while pushing the outhouse, so I turned over the starting duties to a friend and joined our hospital's team. We did not win but we made a respectable showing, and I got to compete against guys who were mostly quite a bit younger than I in front of an enthusiastic crowd. It really was a lot of fun! When we finished I didn't feel all that tired, and I'm not very sore today, so the training is paying off. A goal for this year now is to improve my start and my sprinting speed. I'll be back next January to try to improve on our showing. :mozilla_smile:
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.




User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: outhouse races

Postby Arkann » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 am

That sounds awesome. Is there any way to share some pictures?

User avatar
RepublicJim
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Republic, WA

Re: outhouse races

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm

How about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8R5FePy0w&feature=youtu.be

That's my team "Eliminator" running in second behind "Royal Throne 2" and ahead of "Little Stinker". We got a slow start but closed in a little before the finish to make it a good race. Snow conditions were awful; it was about 36 degrees at race time, and what snow was left was slushy and extremely greasy. When we hit deeper patches of it we were the fastest team there. Unfortunately, most of it was quite thin (with a couple of spots where asphalt was showing) and the fins on the backs of our water skis were dragging. In hindsight we should have removed the fins, but we were anticipating deeper, powdery snow like we normally have for Winterfest. Oh well, it was a hoot anyway.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: outhouse races

Postby Arkann » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

RepublicJim wrote:How about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8R5FePy0w&feature=youtu.be

That's my team "Eliminator" running in second behind "Royal Throne 2" and ahead of "Little Stinker". We got a slow start but closed in a little before the finish to make it a good race. Snow conditions were awful; it was about 36 degrees at race time, and what snow was left was slushy and extremely greasy. When we hit deeper patches of it we were the fastest team there. Unfortunately, most of it was quite thin (with a couple of spots where asphalt was showing) and the fins on the backs of our water skis were dragging. In hindsight we should have removed the fins, but we were anticipating deeper, powdery snow like we normally have for Winterfest. Oh well, it was a hoot anyway.


Awesome! I really enjoyed that. Not just sport part of it but community spirit as well! Don't see it too often anymore.
Respect, mate.

User avatar
RepublicJim
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Republic, WA

Re: outhouse races

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:10 am

Last Saturday we celebrated Winterfest again, this time with even less (and even sloppier) snow than last year. The entire afternoon the temperature was mid- to upper-thirties, which was not conducive to good snow conditions. Naturally, this Tuesday night we got over six inches of nice powder, and it has remained below freezing since then!

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to prove that my sprinting has improved since last year, as our hospital didn't even field a team. Instead I had to be content with donning my kilt and helping organize events once again. It was a great day anyway, with lots of crowd-pleasing action. I think I have my SAR teammates convinced to build an outhouse and enter next year. If so, I'll be back in the competition, another year older, but with another year of training under my belt.

Here's the start of a tug of war match between our town volunteer firefighters and a ragtag team of random citizens, with a few quickly-melting snow sculptures in the background. Oh yes, that's my new home gym climbing rope getting broken in.
Image
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

User avatar
Arkann
Posts: 2049
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: outhouse races

Postby Arkann » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:39 am

RepublicJim wrote:Last Saturday we celebrated Winterfest again, this time with even less (and even sloppier) snow than last year. The entire afternoon the temperature was mid- to upper-thirties, which was not conducive to good snow conditions. Naturally, this Tuesday night we got over six inches of nice powder, and it has remained below freezing since then!

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to prove that my sprinting has improved since last year, as our hospital didn't even field a team. Instead I had to be content with donning my kilt and helping organize events once again. It was a great day anyway, with lots of crowd-pleasing action. I think I have my SAR teammates convinced to build an outhouse and enter next year. If so, I'll be back in the competition, another year older, but with another year of training under my belt.

Here's the start of a tug of war match between our town volunteer firefighters and a ragtag team of random citizens, with a few quickly-melting snow sculptures in the background. Oh yes, that's my new home gym climbing rope getting broken in.
Image


Nice!


Return to “Current Events”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users