How long to put off strength when joining MMA

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
strengthunderthebar

How long to put off strength when joining MMA

Postby strengthunderthebar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:43 am

Its been three weeks. I train 2 days a week. In that time i also began jogging and have run 20 miles. By the one month mark I'll probably find i can train 2 days a week for an hour then jog 30 miles a month. These jogs are 2 miles and 4 miles in duration.

The running helped me be able to conduct the practice until the end. How long should i wait to add strength?

Sunday. 2 or 4 miles.
Monday. Off.
Tuesday. TKD. 2 to 3 miles.
Wednesday off.
Th. Tkd. 2 - 3 miles.
Friday. Off.
Sat 2 or 4 miles.

This is the schedule i feel i can currently keep. Unsure how long to wait before adding strength training 2 days a week.

Mr. Churro

Re: How long to put off strength when joining MMA

Postby Mr. Churro » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:06 am

Skills training is the A number 1 priority for combat sports. After that is sport specific fitness that is gained from things like sparring and drilling. With only two days a week of sport specific work, your priority should be getting more time in working on your art. Also, if you want to get into mma, you're going to want to incorporate some other arts into your training. TKD works well when paired with other standup arts, like Muay Thai, boxing and karate, but isn't great on its own as sparring is done in a different style than what you'll encounter in an mma bout. Not to mention you'll want to work on your grappling and ground game. Your next priority should be to try and find other gyms where you can learn other aspects of your game. Even if you can't afford that, finding some guys from other arts to spar with will help you enourmously. I remember when I was in I think my sophomore year in highschool, a buddy of mine from my boxing gym and I would bring our gloves and gear to school. At lunch the PE teacher would let us go in gym, and we would do some light sparring and drilling together. This helped my skills and development hugely. Just sparring with other styles will help you a ton, as it will teach you which techniques will transfer over into mma and which won't. It will also help you lay a base down so when you do start training in other arts, you'll know what to expect from sparring with guys of that discipline. Once you are getting maybe 4-5 sessions of martial arts specific training with in a week, then you should start looking into bringing in some basic strength and power work. Also keep up your conditioning work, you can never have too much cardio. Hopefully this helps, best of luck and happy training.

speedy

Postby speedy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:56 am

strengthunderthebar wrote:Its been three weeks. I train 2 days a week. In that time i also began jogging and have run 20 miles. By the one month mark I'll probably find i can train 2 days a week for an hour then jog 30 miles a month. These jogs are 2 miles and 4 miles in duration.

The running helped me be able to conduct the practice until the end. How long should i wait to add strength?

Sunday. 2 or 4 miles.
Monday. Off.
Tuesday. TKD. 2 to 3 miles.
Wednesday off.
Th. Tkd. 2 - 3 miles.
Friday. Off.
Sat 2 or 4 miles.

This is the schedule i feel i can currently keep. Unsure how long to wait before adding strength training 2 days a week.

I totally agree technique and skill training is #1 above all else. But instead of taking that many off-days, just do Tabata and/or Intervals of Burpees. That will help with cardio and some strength.
My log.Speedy Log

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:26 pm

^^^^

I second the above. A good mid ground would be GPP minute drills. You could also utilize some drills used in class and/or simulate a round. Something like this would fit your needs:

Pull-up burpees, high knee dumbbell presses, shadow box, pull-up burpees, lunge jumps or walking lunges, sprawls, 30 secs each for rounds.

Tbh really any of Ross' sample workouts would work well also, they're in the articles section on the main page.
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

Medved

Postby Medved » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Don't put it off at all. Supplement your MMA with strength and conditioning tailored to your goals and your strengths and weaknesses.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”