Periodize skills?

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Torpedo

Periodize skills?

Postby Torpedo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 am

Hi!

First, hello to everybody, this is my first message.

I'm from Madrid, Spain, and here it's quite difficult find a good MMA training. Only there are a couple of places MMA focused, one quite far away from the other and with not very convenient schedules. So what people does is train everything separate, BJJ, muay thai, boxing, whatever. If you try to train in separate gyms it's a mess, running from one to the other all the day and paying all the fees.

So I've been thinking, and maybe this is a crazy idea but I wanted to share, what about periodizing the skills training? As there is the soviet school of periodize training, creating blocks of strength, power, endurance, whatsoever, would it have sense to train one month BJJ, one month Muay Thai, one month wrestling, or any combination, and start again? Or would that be a complete waste of time? What do you think?

pathfighter

Re: Periodize skills?

Postby pathfighter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

Torpedo wrote:Hi!

First, hello to everybody, this is my first message.

I'm from Madrid, Spain, and here it's quite difficult find a good MMA training. Only there are a couple of places MMA focused, one quite far away from the other and with not very convenient schedules. So what people does is train everything separate, BJJ, muay thai, boxing, whatever. If you try to train in separate gyms it's a mess, running from one to the other all the day and paying all the fees.

So I've been thinking, and maybe this is a crazy idea but I wanted to share, what about periodizing the skills training? As there is the soviet school of periodize training, creating blocks of strength, power, endurance, whatsoever, would it have sense to train one month BJJ, one month Muay Thai, one month wrestling, or any combination, and start again? Or would that be a complete waste of time? What do you think?

I don't know about the kind of periodization scheme you're outlining, but I believe it's good to start with a deep basis in one system. BJJ is more skill-intensive and fungible, so I would use that as a base. Once I got to purple level, I'd be at least somewhat dangerous in the ring, and I could then reduce the BJJ and move on to Muay Thai.

It's a long road, but best to start somewhere. Trying to learn everything at once, even in a gym that teaches everything, can still be a mess unless you are some kind of physical freak. They do exist, but it's a rare human that can learn everything at once.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Torpedo

Postby Torpedo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:36 am

Well, I don't intend to be a pro, just to enjoy myself, so I thought it would be better if I train different things. But I was wondering how to do it, it's complicated to jump from discipline to discipline in terms of time management. Of course I agree with you in something: it's better to specialize in one thing that creating a big mess of nonsense training

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:24 pm

bad idea... need to be consistant
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

suji

Postby suji » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm

look up Jujimufu (the "anabolic acrobat") - he's updating his website right now (acrobolix.com) but if you google "acrobolix periodize life" and read the cached site, you can see a couple of articles he has about periodizing skills and activities.

might not be the best idea for a fighter in regards to fighting skills itself, i can't speak on that because i don't competitively fight - but an interesting read nonetheless.

(Insert Name Here)

Postby (Insert Name Here) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:35 pm

If it's for fun then it's ok, but I'd stick with 1 for 6 months at a time at least. This way you can learn the right and wrong of certain things and avoid them while you maintain your skills when you switch disciplines. You need a base level of competence to train on your own and 1 month at a time would simply mess you up to the point where when you go back to the first discipline you'd have to spend the whole month undoing bad habits you taught yourself while away doing another discipline.

Alternatively you could try a short stint doing each, decide which one you'd like to stick with for a while and then go hard with it and revisit the others later...again at least 6 months later.
PB's:
100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"Don't think 'do', be doing..."
"Do what you love"

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”