A quick rant about subpar Muay Thai training in Bangkok Thailand

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
silentmind

A quick rant about subpar Muay Thai training in Bangkok Thailand

Postby silentmind » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:05 am

So I ended up showing up to a gym about 6 months ago in the Suthisan (Saphan Kwai) area of Bangkok and without knowing any better and I decided to just pay for the first month right away and get started training. This gym has no marketing and I was the only foreigner there for around the last six months.

I thought that was going to be a good thing and I would have a great cultural experience and all that… but it really wasn’t because in retrospect they could never really explain to me the mechanics behind the way the body weapons are used due to the language barrier and after awhile they just ended up getting really lazy when it came to training me. I come from a western boxing background so there are a lot of things that I need to change in order to train effectively and compete in Muay Thai.

I saw the signs of trainers who were not interested in REALLY training me (Not just making me tired with the pads) a long time ago. But I was blinded… I thought that this was the best I could possibly find and I would just have to learn the mechanics from books. Also the gym was cheap by the standards in place here in Bangkok for training so I stuck around. But this was until I basically had enough of it and decided to take my training to another level and found a new gym even if that means I have to pay more now.

During my first session at the new gym I was taught simple things like how to turn my leg properly so I can generate the right power and land back with my feet ready in position and other little tweaks that allowed me to regain back that optimistic energy I had when I first started training. There are also other foreigners from Asia and the West training there along with Thais so is not just a Thai gym and they seem to know how to explain things well.

Most of the time I feel that going to that 1st gym for the last 6 months of my life has been a huge waste of time. I would show up and work out 5 hours a day but all of my mechanics are wrong and to this day I’m lacking kicking speed, power and endurance.

In retrospect they would even have me spar with their champions sometimes and of course I would not be able to do much since I couldn’t and still can’t use my feet as effectively as they can. I mean I could never get them into punching range unless I would brute force myself into that range and would just end up getting beaten up.

I was discouraged of training so many times and quit 3 times in the last 6 months for a few weeks but always came back because I was optimistic. But all they did was simply make fun of me and take my money. It took some deep meditation and a lot of studying of the body language of the people who were supposed to care for me to recognize that they were just after a quick buck and were not really interested in teaching the art of Muay Thai.

Now that I find a new gym that’s actually helping me I’m going to print out the material I have purchased from Ross and put together a plan to work on my endurance and basic strength and make the best of what I have.

If anyone is coming to train Muay Thai in Bangkok I recommend you to just pay per day and never per month ahead of time. It all equals to the same anyway and you end up keeping the gym and its trainers on their toes. A lot of these gyms are full of shit (You will realize that after the culture shock wears off) they see us as income and nothing more. We’re paying a premium here so you should at least get your pad work, drills, constructive opinions on what you should do and never settle for shitty training like I did. Also the concept of loyalty to one gym should be thrown out the window and you must always look after #1-yourself.

Faust

Re: A quick rant about subpar Muay Thai training in Bangkok Thailand

Postby Faust » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I rarely browse this forum, but your thread caught my eye and was a fascinating read. It proves that you always have to watch after yourself.
Glad you made it through the shit. No one can steal this experience from you and don't see it as a waste of time. You sharpened your sight and adjusted your BS radar.

Always a good thing.

Keep your guard up and keep on!
The receiver makes the massage.

silentmind

Postby silentmind » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:36 am

Faust wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience!

I rarely browse this forum, but your thread caught my eye and was a fascinating read. It proves that you always have to watch after yourself.
Glad you made it through the shit. No one can steal this experience from you and don't see it as a waste of time. You sharpened your sight and adjusted your BS radar.

Always a good thing.

Keep your guard up and keep on!

You make some good points. Thank you for your input.
Do you have any idea how I gain a significantly extra amount of flexibility in my hips and left left? I'm extremely stiff at times and my lead kick comes out weak and throws me out of balance.
Last edited by silentmind on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 am

Sorry, I'm not into kicking, I'm a pugilist.
The receiver makes the massage.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”