Grappling vs Boxing for self defense?

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Shia

Grappling vs Boxing for self defense?

Postby Shia » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi guys

So I have recently discovered an awesome gym across the road from my commercialized 'fitness centre' and Im looking for a change.

They have boxing, plus lots of grappling classes that tie in together (no gi BJJ, wrestling, and MMA training (tying those and striking together).

I have done boxing and kickboxing for a while, but was wondering which of these are better for self defense. I do have some striking skills, but on top of the grappling would still do heavy bag work and skipping.

Im just curious as to which is better for self defense, boxing or grappling?

Canis Caelorum

Re: Grappling vs Boxing for self defense?

Postby Canis Caelorum » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:09 am

My personal opinion would be grappling, because it is easier to convince the pigs that you haven't done anything you shouldn't if you just control and restrain a guy. Or throw him on his head and say you grabbed him and he fell. If a guy swung at you, but you have little or no marks on your face, and he has fractured ribs, nose, orbital bone, maybe missing or broken teeth then it gets difficult to explain and you will probably have to go to court.

Source: it happened to me a bunch of times and it could happen to you too.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

TheLaw

Postby TheLaw » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 am

100 m sprint is the definitive martial skill.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:19 am

Good point.

Another thing I thought of after I posted, is that aside from running one of the best self defense methods in the world would be the handy combination of being a well-presented, clean cut middle class or up dude with no tattoos, and no criminal history combined with a CCW.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Fitness_Freek

Postby Fitness_Freek » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 am

There isnt a simple answer here in all reality, plan for the feet and the ground. Just going off what you said and not know what you mean by " having stand up skills, that opinion varies" I would urge you to get into grappling and also keep cycling in your striking.

A lot of people try to pick one or the other and thats not the way to approach true self defense. Now I started wrestling when i was 8 and started jiu jitsu when i was 19 or 20 back in 2005, and im the first to say you better know how to strike in a real life situation. I love grappling, and wrestling, its been around since BC and is a very violent, mean art form, its gotten me through a handful of altercations, but I sure dont rely on just one thing, its a good way to get put to sleep in one way or another. the same philosophy can be said about pure stand up practitioners.

"I wasnt a good student, and even now I never say that I am better than anybody, but I know I love jiu jitsu more than anybody" - Marcelo Garcia
As far as our training goes, we lift heavy and hard - Branch Warren

http://instagram.com/josefbriggs

bigdaddy

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Just my opinion, but all fights start standing, so being able to throw is imperative. knowing what to do up close and personal-like is necessary as well, but in a street fight you do not want to stay on the ground. You can get head-kicked or back-jumped by a homie. And more cats out there carry blades than don't
John Hackleman is working on a video addressing this very topic...might want to check him out...
" I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me"- Phi. 4:13

"See there? You give somebody a rap in the beezer you get some respect"

"Drop death right on its ass"-Mr.Mean

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:24 pm

To truly prepared you have to kno stand up, clinch, grappling, weaponry and multiple attackers... people don't fight fair now days you have to prepared for anything
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

JackC18

Postby JackC18 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:58 pm

IMO, boxing with some solid strength and conditioning. if you really wanted to be covered, adding wrestling to that mix. Imo you will be ready for most 1 to 1 situations.

Brooklyn_teacher

Postby Brooklyn_teacher » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:01 am

Learn to switch your head to the signs of danger and get really good at the 100m sprint. There's no fightng system in the world that beats situational awareness and the ability to transport yourself away from a threat.

Beyond that it's what you can effectively bring to bear on a situation, which means what you are good at, which means what you've trained consistently, which more or less means what you enjoy doing.
Be nice. Thats manly.

TheLaw

Postby TheLaw » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:Learn to switch your head to the signs of danger and get really good at the 100m sprint. There's no fightng system in the world that beats situational awareness and the ability to transport yourself away from a threat.

Beyond that it's what you can effectively bring to bear on a situation, which means what you are good at, which means what you've trained consistently, which more or less means what you enjoy doing.

Excellent advice.

You are talking about self defence op, not martial arts, they are two related but different subjects, so yes,
100 m sprint top of the list, or the advanced form, the 400m sprint.

Having an awareness of your environment is crucial, so if those lads up the street look like thugs, assume they are
and take the necessary action.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”