Butterfly guard instructionals

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Canis Caelorum

Butterfly guard instructionals

Postby Canis Caelorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:28 am

MarkMunster, Finnegan can you guys recommend any good butterfly guard books or DVDs to me? Specifically stuff that's good and applicable for a pesadissimo. I'm getting a little burned out with half guard and want to start focusing on something new, butterfly is something I've never really spent a lot of time on just yet.

I'm guessing Marcelo's book would be an essential, for obvious reasons. What else would you guys recommend to me?

Thanks.
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

finnegan

Re: Butterfly guard instructionals

Postby finnegan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:07 am

Hmm. I still think Damian Maia's older dvd instructional is among the best. Marcelo is a good start.

Honestly I think you should look into spider guard. It is not something alot of bigger guys do and it will confound your opponents coming from a big guy.

Romulo Barral is a big guy and its his specialty.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Butterfly and spider guard both lend themselves well to incorporating knives and guns.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:12 pm

finnegan wrote:Hmm. I still think Damian Maia's older dvd instructional is among the best. Marcelo is a good start.

Honestly I think you should look into spider guard. It is not something alot of bigger guys do and it will confound your opponents coming from a big guy.

Romulo Barral is a big guy and its his specialty.

Thanks, I have Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu II, are you talking about Science I or something else? Science II is great, I got it early on as a white belt, watched it and got a couple of good bits and pieces and then realized it was way over my head so I put it away and focused on other things. I have been coming back to it a little now and starting to understand it a lot more than I did back then, I think by purple I should be viewing it in a whole new light again also.

Spider guard. Because I value and respect your opinion, brah, I'm going to put the butterfly guard stuff on hold and look into spider for awhile. See how it pans out.

Jesse wrote:Butterfly and spider guard both lend themselves well to incorporating knives and guns.

Don't let the ref see them though.
With respect

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Why on earth would I allow a referee in a match. :P

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:05 am

Started playing around a bit with some stuff from Robson Moura's Ultimate Spider Guard, I already use a lot of his Z-half/93 guard stuff and despite being waaaay heavier than him for some reason his stuff always tends to work well for me. I'm liking the Spider stuff so far. Thanks again for the suggestion Finnegan.

Jesse wrote:Why on earth would I allow a referee in a match. :P

Ha ha ha.
With respect

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm

I was talking to a training buddy last night, and he mentioned the "BJJ is like chess" trope, I got to thinking about it a bit and really I think it's not so much like chess at all. I think it is more along the lines of something like that old Yugio card game or Magic the Gathering or something. Each player has their own deck, stacked with the cards they prefer to play that all complement their overall card game. Some people have huge decks, with hundreds of cards in them, and others have small decks with a small amount of refined high percentage cards that work well for them every time. But each man has his own unique deck that he has built over time, and stacked with the cards he prefers...

Dunno, maybe I'm off the mark but I thought it kinda worked well as an analogy, figured I'd put it here as I am kind of in the process of discarding some cards I held onto because they were "cool" but didn't work too well for me, and building up a new deck with the spider guard which - again - I am grateful for the recommendation, it is feeling like a very strong position for me on bottom so far in playing around with it.

Finnegan, are there any specific resources - YT channels, books, video anything - you would recommend for focusing on transitioning to and setting up the spider guard? Or would you say it's one of those things you just kind figure out yourself? I know I've sussed out a few good entries from half guard, for example, on my own and I have pretty high percentage success in getting to half guard as it is, so there's one road in at least. Few other entries from other positions too but I would like to focus a lot more on transitioning/entering the posish.
With respect

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:48 am

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks Khaos, that's a really good interview. I remember seeing it when Eat Films first released the full interview, some awesome points.
With respect

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”