Noob - BJJ

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Snaplight

Noob - BJJ

Postby Snaplight » Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 am

After hearing many good things about it I'm seriously tempted to take BJJ for a spin and find a local class.

What are the ( if any ) key questions I need to ask in terms of finding a 'good' class and instructor?

Just looking to expand my skill set.

finnegan

Re: Noob - BJJ

Postby finnegan » Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 am

Ask your potential instructor who he got his black belt from. If anything other than a name comes out of his or her mouth then turn and leave that school.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am

When you say 'skill set" what are you talking about?

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Tue May 10, 2016 10:17 am

finnegan wrote:Ask your potential instructor who he got his black belt from. If anything other than a name comes out of his or her mouth then turn and leave that school.

This; there are enough BJJ black belts around these days that should enable you to find one nearby, if you are not able to then the question of who they train under still applies. The t'internet is a wealth of info (not always accurate) so if you find a club nearby then you should be able to get a feel for their credentials. Most Gracie Barra (not Gracie University!!!), 10th planet gyms are spot on, also many MMA gyms offering BJJ and grappling.

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Finding a "good" class and instructor, aside from the definite necessary measures already described ITT, will come down a bit to what you're wanting out of it as well. Do you want to train at a top-level competition BJJ gym? Or one with a big emphasis on SD too? Or are you more interested in vale tudo/MMA-oriented BJJ? These will be factors only you can work out...

Also the training environment and other students will be a factor - if you don't seem to click or fit in with them it may become a deterrent to training after a certain amount of time. I am very blessed in that the club I am with are all really awesome and welcoming people, I can drop into any of our club's gyms in the country and be made to feel welcome and have a good train. We also get along well with a number of other clubs around the country and visit them from time to time for training, seminars &c. and the attitude of our club really gels with me as person, which in turn keeps me coming back ha ha.

And don't worry about being a noob - I've been training for 3 years and still regard myself pretty much a noob.

All the best with your journey man, enjoy it!
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 am

And dont join anyplace that uses the word noob.

Bjj welcomes newcomers and beginners with open arms. Provided the student doesnt come in with inflated sense of self, even so that will be gone in the first few rolls.

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Thu May 12, 2016 2:23 am

finnegan wrote:And dont join anyplace that uses the word noob.

Bjj welcomes newcomers and beginners with open arms. Provided the student doesnt come in with inflated sense of self, even so that will be gone in the first few rolls.

Agreed, however I've seen and quiet a few new guys come in and tap much more experienced guys (myself included), the experienced guy rolls in a relaxed manner, conserving energy, weighing everything up and understanding that this is practice with no need to take make it too heavy, new guy comes in and locks on a guillotine as hard and fast as possible. It always makes me smile, granted it tends to only happen on the first roll but it makes for a laugh. :dance:

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Thu May 12, 2016 2:57 pm

New guys coming in and tapping experienced guys? Sorry but doesnt speak well of your school if thats the case.

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Fri May 13, 2016 8:27 am

Honestly, I understand it as not an uncommon thing to happen; I've seen it with stand up sparring also, new guy throws the first punch as hard as possible and catches the experienced guy off guard (initially).

With grappling tapping 'too soon' can be perceived as a negative, but when practicing an experienced grappler should know when its on and tap before injury can occur. I once had a new guy lock on my ankle and start to roll and crank it hard, real hard, yeah sure I could have probably fought my way out of it but by far the sensible option for me was to tap before I snapped, I then had words with the lad and explained the etiquette a bit more, along the lines of take it easy or next time I'll smash your face... a few years down the line and we are good friends, he recently got his BJJ brown and owns me on the floor :confusion-scratchheadblue:

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm

I dont know where you train bjj but if somebody walks in off the street and is tapping your experienced guys its not a school I would recommend.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”