wing chun

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
dalesr

wing chun

Postby dalesr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 am

For those of us interested in martial arts. I've been studying wing chun under Dave who is in the video below for a few months now, a great instructor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DwuQ ... Qi9MY52buw

dalesr

Re: wing chun

Postby dalesr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 am

Wing Chun Sui Lim Tao 1st form demonstration 永春中国…: http://youtu.be/wuQaErn5lvI

If the 1st link doesn't work...

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:23 am

Are you serious ?

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:21 am

Yes, I'm sure that I'm not the only one on here to have an interest in wing chun.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:24 pm

The video you sent is guy in front of a mirror doing I dont know what.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 am

fantastic wrist rehab video, thanks!
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

judoka

Postby judoka » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:41 pm

I don't know anything about wing chun, what's the purpose of the exercise the dude was doing?

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:20 am

He's doing the first part of the first form of Wing Chun. Like a lot of traditional martial arts Wing Chun uses forms to help develop certain movement patterns and aid 'muscle memory', A lot of the movements in forms, kata etc use exaggerated movements to help make this so; As such trying to attach practical applications to every single movement isn't possible or the intention of the form, however, the way you strike, turn your wrists and so on can be practiced without the need for a training partner. Forms aren't intended to replace hands on training but to help one practice movements that assist when training with a partner. That's my take on it anyway. I'm aware of different history's and reasoning for the creation of forms and katas etc but can't really be bothered going into that right now.

speedy

Postby speedy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:29 pm

I have a guy here at the office whom is a kung fu fanatic. He drives all the way to go to classes in NYC to train with some "great" teacher as he puts it. Supposedly this guys training is tied somehow to the person that trained Bruce Lee or some mombo jumbo like that. Anyway, he swears by it and has demonstrated it and I see some practical stuff and other stuff I learned is not the best way to defend due to my boxing days while he clearly disagrees. So in the end I said different strokes for different folks.

However, if you asked me this during my martial arts days I would be all over it and agree. Note this pre-dates the days of MMA. But after going from 12 years of traditional (like forms/katas that were previously mentioned) to full-contact kickboxing and then years later to boxing I have to be perfectly blunt: traditional is full of crap.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

dalesr

Postby dalesr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:04 am

I agree and disagree, there exists a lot of crap in a lot of the traditional martial arts, however I also feel that there's also a lot of good that can be taken from them. About 14 years ago I went from a traditional back ground of Karate and Tae Kwon Do into BJJ and MMA, competed in both as well as K1 rules kickboxing at Pro, this was before most had heard the term MMA and a mention of it returned blank looks.

I was training 5/6 days a week as well as cornering almost every weekend; this was on top of a physically demanding job and it got to an unsustainable level, I started picking up injuries left, right and centre and I admittedly lost my once limitless motivation.
Then my wife gave birth to our child (which is by far the best decision that I/we ever took), I received a promotion that took me away from a lot of the physicality but that also extended my working ours; I gracefully bowed out of most things martial arts but continued to hit the bag and train at home, becoming more interested in building up my strength and size.

Then whilst travelling away with work some months ago, I got talking to an old colleague that I hadn't seen for years, doing the usual catch up and I found the first flicker of a flame inside me that has rekindled that love I once held for martial arts.
I made the decision to not jump back into MMA and BJJ as I am honestly worried about re-occurring injuries and I don't have the time to dedicate. So I found Wing Chun, and yes whilst there are gaps in the system when compared to MMA, (there are also gaps in BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing etc when compared to MMA, everything is relative...)
I'm studying it for itself and to see what it can bring to the table; so far I'm impressed and most of all I'm ENJOYING it.

A wise man is quoted as once saying - "Absorb what is useful. Discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own."

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”