I am confused: Judo or Muay Thai

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Abraiz

I am confused: Judo or Muay Thai

Postby Abraiz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:31 am

Hi all.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to be postsing this, but it is bugging me. A lot. I am 32, have done some karate, some Judo and some Muay Thai, all of it in my adult life (read after I finished studying and started earning) as I was pretty hotheaded when I was a kid and my parents did not let me learn any martial art then.

Now I have lost all interest in Karate, except for a passing interest in bunkai. I am wavering between Judo and Muay Thai. Which one do I choose? Even if I factor in everything - like the time to be spent in each, the distance of the dojo from my house, the expenses involved in each, the quality of instruction in each, the expertise of the coach, etc., it is still a close call.

I like Muay Thai, but fear that my body will not be able to handle it. Judo also I like but I think I will miss out on striking. Judo seems more regimented, which kind of appeals to me. MT is more freeform, which also appeals to me... and also puts me off a wee bit. Which one do I choose? Is there a middle path out? As mentioned, I am 32 now. In a few years, I will be 40 and most probably will not be able to learn stuff then. I'd like to choose one and stick with it before I reach that age.

All responses are appreciated and thanks in advance to all those who chip in.
Abraiz

JackC18

Re: I am confused: Judo or Muay Thai

Postby JackC18 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:13 pm

If you haven't already go to each gym and see which one you enjoy more and that should sway your decision

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Abraiz wrote:Hi all.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to be postsing this, but it is bugging me. A lot. I am 32, have done some karate, some Judo and some Muay Thai, all of it in my adult life (read after I finished studying and started earning) as I was pretty hotheaded when I was a kid and my parents did not let me learn any martial art then.

Now I have lost all interest in Karate, except for a passing interest in bunkai. I am wavering between Judo and Muay Thai. Which one do I choose? Even if I factor in everything - like the time to be spent in each, the distance of the dojo from my house, the expenses involved in each, the quality of instruction in each, the expertise of the coach, etc., it is still a close call.

I like Muay Thai, but fear that my body will not be able to handle it. Judo also I like but I think I will miss out on striking. Judo seems more regimented, which kind of appeals to me. MT is more freeform, which also appeals to me... and also puts me off a wee bit. Which one do I choose? Is there a middle path out? As mentioned, I am 32 now. In a few years, I will be 40 and most probably will not be able to learn stuff then. I'd like to choose one and stick with it before I reach that age.

All responses are appreciated and thanks in advance to all those who chip in.

Go with what you'll enjoy more. This is time out of your life you'll never get back. Might as well have fun.

If it's still a toss up after considering enjoyment, then I suggest you actually flip a coin. Let fate make the decision for you.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:57 pm

If you can't handle Muah Thai how do you expect to handle Judo? Muah Thai yes you are taking strikes to the body but in Judo you are getting thrown to the ground over and over again. If you can handle one I am sure you can handle the other. Push comes to shove do both.
My log.Speedy Log

Canis Caelorum

Postby Canis Caelorum » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:10 pm

I fought in Muay Thai from my mid teens to my early twenties, and I definitely get what you mean about not being sure if your body can handle it. You don't generally see many guys competing seriously at amateur level beyond 30, some pros will but they're always going to do things amateurs never would or should in some regards. Getting elbowed and kneed in the head all day long takes it's toll, thankfully for me it's just difficulty reading really small print and a slight blur to my vision if I focus too hard, which is an acceptable price to pay for having the gift of being able to enjoy the sport for 15 odd years.

Most martial arts have some kind or another of underlying philosophy, and I think part of what can be the trouble with Muay Thai is that it's underlying philosophy is basically "let's see who has bigger cojones". Take abuse, keep moving forwards, ignore the pain, whale on each other till one of you drops. It's why you lose rounds on points even if you outstrike the other guy, but were counterfighting and not being aggressive.

Now that being said, if you're not planning on competing, what's the harm? Doing it for fun or as a hobby or even if you're only competing minimally, say three or four fights a year, you probably won't have too many problems. You could even compete under Modified Thai Rules if you were worried about the cumulative damage from elbows to the head - I think it's minimal anyway really, but it can slow some guys down after a number of years.

Judo is tough on the body in other ways. Getting thrown over and over again can really take it out of you, people land funny sometimes, bones break &c. but if the local judo club is anything to go by something I notice that's different by comparison is that most of those guys continue to compete regularly into older age a lot more than I saw people do in MT. So, at least anecdotally, it might be a better path for longevity. YMMV.

Ultimately I think when people ask a question like this, somewhere deep down inside of yourself you may know the answer. If not, just have a good long think about which one you want to do, which one you enjoy more. Go with that. You only get one life, man - spend it doing what you love.

All the best with your journey!
With respect

M.O.B.F.O.E. - Money Over Bitches, Fitness Over Everything

Fitness_Freek

Postby Fitness_Freek » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:39 am

speedy wrote:If you can't handle Muah Thai how do you expect to handle Judo? Muah Thai yes you are taking strikes to the body but in Judo you are getting thrown to the ground over and over again. If you can handle one I am sure you can handle the other. Push comes to shove do both.

Agreed. Judo is hell on the body depending on the academy and their mats. We cycle in judo at our academy but only for a few weeks at a time because the slams you take on our jiu jitsu mats really wears you down. I like judo its a lot of fun to cycle in and get a good base on throws and what to watch our for. Perhaps you could find an academy that offers different classes so you can have a range of different things to work on. Almost all of the academys im aware of in our area offer different classes on different days and times so you can be more well rounded and stay sharp on your feet, on the ground, or a tie up.
"I wasnt a good student, and even now I never say that I am better than anybody, but I know I love jiu jitsu more than anybody" - Marcelo Garcia
As far as our training goes, we lift heavy and hard - Branch Warren

http://instagram.com/josefbriggs

dzab

Postby dzab » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Would you consider BJJ? Still a combat sport but more forgiving on the body if you train within your limits.

silentmind

Postby silentmind » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:23 am

You can do almost anything that you set your mind to. I know it sounds cliche but seriously... pick (1) and set a goal and just move forward little by little. I would not attempt to do (2) martial arts at once though since that's a recipe for quitting. Go on Youtube and look at a few amateur fights in each sport and figure out which one you would enjoy the most to compete in and take your first step forward from there. I'm 30 almost 31 and just started to practice Muay Thai and I'm doing great. I never really thought of my age as a limitation. I mean sure I'll likely never become the undisputed middleweight champion of the world at Muay Thai, but I think there are better ways to make money anyway? Anyway I'm almost 31 and i'm swinging the right kick as hard as a Louisville baseball bat and getting stronger everyday. By 40 I will likely be in an amazing physical shape close to my prime... As a matter fact 40 might be my physical prime now that I think about it? Why not?

Always be optimistic...

The prover proves what the thinker thinks. :mozilla_wink:

Abraiz

Postby Abraiz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I am going to go with Muay Thai. Am really busy right now. Will take it up after August/September. The way out of this dilemma was a bit unconventional. I tried a spiritual method (for those who are interested in more, google "Istikhara"). Anyhow, nice hearing so many viewpoints.

@dzab - There are no BJJ gyms near me. @Silentmind - I totally get what you are saying.

Thanks a lot.
Abraiz

Virtual Boxer

Postby Virtual Boxer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Advice 1: Take Judo at first because you have to have a partner for that and for this you pay, plus, train on striking at home for a while. Learn how to strike from YouTube. Go to a Muay Thai place later more knowledgeable and with more confidence and let the instructor fix the minor bad habits that you've probably developed.
You can learn how to box from this awesome free boxing videos collection: http://www.virtualboxer.com/lessons/fre ... ssons.html

Advice 2: Take both for a free lesson and decide according to what you feel afterwards.
Train your boxing with Virtual Boxer - A super effective 3-speed boxing training program - Try the FREEBIES, they're a lot of fun! Also if you’re serious, try the southpaw boxing simulator!

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”