Muay Thai Training in Thailand

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Mary

Muay Thai Training in Thailand

Postby Mary » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi community,
Is there somebody who has been or going to try Muay Thai training in Thailand? I need some tips on how to choose a right camp and what to consider why choosing. There are some general outlines in this article https://www.bookmartialarts.com/news/5- ... n-thailand, but I am looking for deeper insights. What are the best camps? Does and donts?

TianFeng

Re: Muay Thai Training in Thailand

Postby TianFeng » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:23 pm

I know Ole Larson personally and he runs a good camp out of Ubon called Legacy. He trains fighters though, not a vacation spot. http://www.legacygym.com/
had a couple friends train at AKA with mike swick and they really liked it. Couple other friends trained at Tiger with ray elbe but I think it is the middle east now.
Royler Gracie>Pedro Schmall>me

silentmind

Postby silentmind » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 am

I'm in Thailand right now (4 months) mostly for other reasons other than Muay Thai but I'm still training 4-5 times a week and getting better little by little.

In my opinion Thailand only pays if any of these apply to you:

A) Can understand Thai with either B or C.
B) Already are an intermediate\advanced practitioner.
C) You have a lot of time available to devote yourself to training and start from 0 as a beginner, to learn the culture and a bit of the language. Let's say 6 months or more to come train at least 4 times a week for 3 hours a day or more.

I can't understand Thai, and I was a beginner 2-3 months ago but have improved a lot with the help of the information provided by Ross. My basic strength and stamina is high enough that I'm light sparring now against professional fighters here and there. That's another thing... If you come here out of shape you are not going to be in a good position since the fitness training methods are generally primitive. The heat here in Bangkok is insane so it will take a bit to get used to it and it tires you out quickly if you're not in shape.

I'm basically training myself via books and videos and just showing up to the gym to work the heavy bag and pads and get corrected via body language and learning other aspects of fighting by watching high level sparring and doing light sparring myself and getting corrected in the process.

But I'm not going to a tourist gym. I'm going to a dirty professional gym in Bangkok where everyone fights for money and no one speaks English, but everyone is generally nice to me there since i'm pretty much the only foreigner that has stayed around for longer than 2 weeks. To find these you just need to watch Muay Thai on the TV on Sundays and keep notes on what gyms the fighters are fighting out of. I can talk more about that later.

A lot of those tourist oriented gyms with websites in the internet will not teach you technique and instead they will tire you out on pads and get you to build a bad foundation. You won't learn anything in regards to torque, snap, triangulation of your punches, elbows, kicks, range management, rotation, offense\defense transition techniques.

They will simply just take your money (A lot of it...it's expensive) and just get you to sweat by saying "teep, kao, toi, te, soch" on the pads. teep: front kick, Kao:Knee, Toi: punch, te: kick, soch: elbow".

You will be able to take pictures on FB and say you're training in Thailand...but your training won't be as efficient as you think. Those are just weapons... you won't learn the strategy on how to use them. As a matter fact you could very well get injured badly if you decide to fight a few months later. An elbow to the face is not a nice present to take home with you.

My recommendation is to just show up in Thailand with a good amount of time and visit as many gyms as you can until you find the one that fits your personality and current skill set best. I've been to some gyms that I regret spending time in... drunk trainers asking you for money and extremely lousy pad holding. If you notice any sort of prolonged slack coming from the trainers just go somewhere else as soon as possible. Also never pay 1 month in advanced since you lose all sort of leverage and won't get a refund. Pay daily then weekly and if after a month everything is fine and you build rapport with the trainers then pay per month.

These were just some of my thoughts. Not all of it applies to you of course. Hope it helps anyone who's planning to come here. If you are in Bangkok and want to have some coffee message me. I should be here for a few more months.

(edit) after further thought I think the OP is just trying to promote their site by submitting the link into the forum. It's too late to remove this though, hopefully it helps you.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:09 pm

^^ What a great and informative post.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”