Bjj question.

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Khaos

Re: Bjj question.

Postby Khaos » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I know this isnt necessarily the forum for this, but, given how much time I am putting onto the mat, I have very little time for strength training.

I could possibly donate 1 day, but is one day enough to really make a difference?

Also as an aside, I started BJJ at 230 lbs. I got on the scale for the first time since starting a couple days ago and I am 195.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:38 am

Congrats on your weight loss! Awesome!!

Eventually you will squeeze a weight day in when you are settled. If you choose to. Remember though that bjj IS resistance training (especially for a 150lb guy like me having someone like you on top of me :mozilla_wink: ).

caioclm

Postby caioclm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 am

Khaos wrote:I know this isnt necessarily the forum for this, but, given how much time I am putting onto the mat, I have very little time for strength training.

I could possibly donate 1 day, but is one day enough to really make a difference?

Also as an aside, I started BJJ at 230 lbs. I got on the scale for the first time since starting a couple days ago and I am 195.

yes, specially if you do some work to prevent the most common injuries, also you can do some mini workouts like throwing a serie of fingerpushups when you have time to.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 am

Khaos congrats on your weight loss!

Finnegan wanted to say thanks for posting those vids. I've re-posted them on my Fight Study website as I found them very useful. I'll link here to the bjj stuff and see if you guys find it useful: http://gil-fight.tumblr.com/tagged/bjj%2Fsubmissions

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 am

Cool FG! Nice tumblr. Im pretty ignorant as to how tumblr works so you will have to excuse me.

Glad you like the vids. I know alot of guys on here are more mma oriented but i like to put nice bjj ones up ( they arent mine btw of course)just ones that have caught my eye.

FeelGood

Postby FeelGood » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

finnegan wrote:Cool FG! Nice tumblr. Im pretty ignorant as to how tumblr works so you will have to excuse me.

Glad you like the vids. I know alot of guys on here are more mma oriented but i like to put nice bjj ones up ( they arent mine btw of course)just ones that have caught my eye.

Well Tumblr is a type of blog geared towards media display (at least I'm trying to make mine that way.) My new site (http://gil-fight.tumblr.com/) is dedicated towards studying all fighting things I come across that I feel are decent learning material. When I post something I <tag> it. Like the Lucas Lepri Highlight vid I've tagged as: grappling | bjj/submission | highlight | Lucas Lepri. This way over-time anyone can group everything posted by what they are tagged. You want to learn arm-bars.. click on that and begin to study. :mozilla_cool:

still in the beginning stages... and open to suggestions

and on the vids.. everyone can learn from each other.. so I can't imagine an mma oriented guy not wanting to study great bjj stuff.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Right on. Love it.

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Received my blue belt Saturday. Training 5-6 days a week now. Down from 230 to 185-190 depending on what I eat, and drink. Definitely going to compete soon, it's more a money issue than anything else. These things cost the greater part of a month's tuition.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Congrats on your transformation and your promotion. That is outstanding!

Yeah the ibjjf events can run a hefty price tag. Alot of the smaller local ones tend to be cheaper. Check out the Goodfight. THose are quite reasonable. Well done my friend.

steveo73

Postby steveo73 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Khaos wrote:Received my blue belt Saturday. Training 5-6 days a week now. Down from 230 to 185-190 depending on what I eat, and drink. Definitely going to compete soon, it's more a money issue than anything else. These things cost the greater part of a month's tuition.

Well done. I've competed and I loved it but I'm going to compete very rarely going forward. I'm 40 and losing the weight and spending the money just isn't worth it to me anymore.

As for your initial question. I'm a little guy but my instructor is a big guy. My instructor said that he was rolling and trying to be gentle and Rigan Macahdo said to him what are you doing. His response was I'm not trying to use strength and I'm twice his size blah blah blah. Rigan said thats his problem not yours.

I'm a little guy and my goal is to get on top and bully the other guy. If I'm obviously better I don't do that but if I'm up against a big guy and if its anywhere near close if I get on top that guy is getting smashed. I also think I'm gentle - I don't choke guys faces or anything like that.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”