Bjj question.

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Khaos

Re: Bjj question.

Postby Khaos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 am

BTW muscling your way out of things may work against peers but wont against high level guys, certainly not guys like this.

I have no doubt.

I was more concerned I wasnt giving the right amount of resistance, either for myself or them. I was simply wondering if I was going about it the right way, and getting the most out of my training.

I have a black belt in traditional jujutsu, and it was stressed in training that proper jujutsu is 70% technique and 30% strength, which is the ratio im trying to maintain here.

I am enjoying the class immensely though. Thanks for the input.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 am

Good luck in your training. If you have any questions or concerns post it or pm me.

caioclm

Postby caioclm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 am

I think its not much about not using strength, but to know when to use it. My professor always keep saying that, the difference between a black belt and a white belt (besides technique) is the calm and knowledge to apply force only when needed... Some strong guys can muscle they way up in some situations, but usually they get tired after that, and find themselves in a dead end.

The key is not let your partner submit you by moving around purposefully, not just using your strength to hold some positions. Save that to championships. But in another way, NEVER grip anything loose. Keep it always tight.

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:13 pm

Just wanted to update sort of.

Still at it in BJJ, rolling every class(at least 3 rounds, if not more sometimes), tapping tons every class,and making 3 to 4 classes a week, mixing up between gi, and nogi.

Im fully enjoying the shit out of it.

Much more comfortable in my rolling, and definitely showing signs of progress, still all survival, but I can actually survive a bit now.

End result seems to be the same though, haha.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:54 am

You need to get tapped, I need to get tapped. Look at it this way, if you are not getting tapped it means you are not trying new things and are playing it safe.

We never progress that way, ever. Got to get out of our comfort zones. Its ok.

Not sure if you ever listened to it but whether we like him or not Joe Rogan has some great thoughts on bjj:

WarMonkey

Postby WarMonkey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:55 pm

Keep up the good work. Becoming comfortable with being submitted is a hard thing to do.
Iron sharpens iron.

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:59 am

Actually, being submitted doesnt really bother me. I just want to give the other guy good training as well, and I know that right now, for the most part, I am a charity case, haha.

Its all good though.

Philosophical question, tapping is important to learning BJJ, but would not submitting people be just as important?

I mean, if you tap the guy, he knows what to work on, etc, and if you submit people successfully, isnt that part of the learning process too?

If your not submitting people, are you also not trying new things,etc?

In playing chess, you dont play to lose, right?

Dont and cant you learn just as much from success as failure?

Not that I actually have succeeded in that area yet, but just an interesting thought process in relation to what I hear in jiu-jitsu circles.

Yeah, get comfortable with tapping, but not too comfortable :mozilla_tongue:

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:48 am

Good question.

Short answer is no. Tapping is way more important. On many different levels.

The chess analogy is overused when it comes to bjj.

Any competitor will tell you they have learned way way more from their losses than by their wins.

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Another update.

Still with it. Third stripe white belt. Hitting 4 to 5 classes a week plus the once a week judo class.

Still having a blast.

Was asked if I was going to compete in the next tournament. Honestly, I'm not sure, I guess I haven't really had the ability to think about thinking about it.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:19 am

Go for it. You may like it.

For me I have zero competitive drive in me yet I LOVE competing. I use it as a supplement to my training. Its fast learning.

Mistakes I realize in comp would take me 2 months of catching on the mats.

No worries, tell yourself going into it the following : its for fun, fun fun. Have fun. If you freak out or get too nervous simply remind yourself that at anytime in the fight you can tap.
You wont tap, you will be fine, but having that thought in your head will relax you.

When Royler Gracie was a little boy his Dad Helio told him not to worry about the tournament. He said "if you win i give you $5, if you lose I give you $10." Hahaha awesome.

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”