Bjj question.

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Khaos

Bjj question.

Postby Khaos » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I've rolled twice now. Well technically six times. Three times,for six minutes ,each person , each class. I think, after reading white belts are prone to a spazzing I went to the other extreme and am rolling too soft.

It's not that I've gotten tapped, I expected that. However, there were a many times I let it happen rather than power out of it.

Not to say I wouldn't have gotten tapped in some other manner.

Am I rolling to soft, is it okay to do so at first?

Khaos

Re: Bjj question.

Postby Khaos » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 pm

As an aside, thanks to never gymless,and full throttle conditioning, I was well able to keep up in the cardio department.

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:51 am

Less thinking and more doing is my response. You want to try to do whatever you learned in class till you find yourself stuck in a pickle. You won't learn anything tapping too early.
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

Khaos

Postby Khaos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

I wouldnt say im letting people tap me so much as not trying to simply muscle my way out of things. Especially when I know that would be the simplest thing to do, but that wouldnt help me learn much either.

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:51 am

Fair enough. Keep in mind my experience does not include BJJ but observation alone it appears more to me a chess match than a muscle match. For instance take Royce Gracie. His "skill" not strength is what put BJJ on the map. However, without being a practitioner of the art, I could be completely way off on that too. Thoughts?
2017 - Focusing 100% on Yoga (various kinds) and cardio. As to why, read my log.
Speedy Log

RJ Warrior

Postby RJ Warrior » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:25 am

When you grapple, try to pay attention to what your opponent is doing to you. You will get submitted often early on, but you will learn infinitely more by being mindful of your positioning, and "feeling" what your opponent is doing. Learn to feel where his base is, and what his positioning is. This will help when you learn more sweeps and submissions. Take your time, and work on applying what you learn in class. Most of all, have fun. Don't overthink it, like Speedy said.
"Fall down seven times, stand up eight." ~ Chinese proverb

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Khaos wrote:I've rolled twice now. Well technically six times. Three times,for six minutes ,each person , each class. I think, after reading white belts are prone to a spazzing I went to the other extreme and am rolling too soft.

It's not that I've gotten tapped, I expected that. However, there were a many times I let it happen rather than power out of it.

Not to say I wouldn't have gotten tapped in some other manner.

Am I rolling to soft, is it okay to do so at first?

Just train. Leave the ego at the door. Breathe, use technique, attempt things constantly and never worry about looking bad or trying to impress others.

As a new student you are right where you are supposed to be.

Good luck in your training. If you have any questions you can pm me or others who train bjj on here. Train safe buddy.

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Khaos wrote:I wouldnt say im letting people tap me so much as not trying to simply muscle my way out of things. Especially when I know that would be the simplest thing to do, but that wouldnt help me learn much either.

BTW muscling your way out of things may work against peers but wont against high level guys, certainly not guys like this.

or this

finnegan

Postby finnegan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Some training motivation for us as we head into the weekend, Lucas Lepri. My professor while he was here in NYC (hes at Alliance Atlanta now) and one of the worlds best bjj fighters.

ato

Postby ato » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 am

You are doing the right thing. Powering out of a bad position looks great on the big screen. For beginners, it may end in injury. I speak from experience, and the knowledge gained was costly.
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”