Muay Thai Weight class

Discuss MMA techniques, strategy, drills, and preparation
Boomtrain

Muay Thai Weight class

Postby Boomtrain » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 pm

I currently weigh 81kg (178lb) at about 176cm tall (5'8 or 5'9 I think).

I want my weight up at around 85 lean. With my first fight on the way would it be foolish of me to increase my weight?

I constantly see 6 ft + guys slimming down to crazy low weights and dominating with reach and leg length.

Should I drop weight, or increase?

facesmasher

Re: Muay Thai Weight class

Postby facesmasher » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:26 am

First off just let me say that I dont fight MT but I train some MT because I fight MMA so I will give you the run down (in my oppinion) of your question from an MMA fighters perspective. Thats all the advice I can give you.

It depends. Guys also dominate by being more compact and powerful. MMA is awesome in that you get to create and taylor your own game in regards to your weight class, height, skill set, limitations, and strengths.

What would be better for you? To be shorter, more compact than everyone? or taller, longer, and have reach on your opponents?

Its about your game. In the end its all about your style and where you fit into MMA.

I know if I was 5'8" i'de be trying to fight at 170lbs. Personally. So your actually right at the propper walking weight. You actually may want to try and strip your body of the extra fat you might be holding onto (if any) so that you'll come into your fight at a solid 170lbs of muscle. I cant see how being made of almost pure muscle when fight time rolls around could be detrimental to your game plan in either event.
"Aure' ye' avin' a giggle at meh'? ... Ull' bash ye' fuckin' ead' in mate. I swear on me mum." Gypsies talking shit. Better than any stand up ever created.

kream

Postby kream » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 am

Personally I wouldn't want to be that big when fighting in thai boxing, but it's how you play your game that matters for you, but expect to have a reach disadvantage. I wouldn't be aiming to put on much weight so it'll just be bodyweight/thaiboxing, not much lifting weights.. I think that would help you get leaner.

expect many of your opponents to be 6'2" etc.

to answer your question I think you should try and drop weight.
In a street brawl, I strike men quicker than lightnin,You seen what happened in my last fight friend? Aight then

Zee Deveel

Postby Zee Deveel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 am

kream wrote:to answer your question I think you should try and drop weight.

Definitely, I think you'd get destroyed at 185.

As Kream said, most guys will be over 6', you'll really struggle to contend with that.

Darren EFC

Postby Darren EFC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am

i don't personally know anybody who actually gain's weight to fight, i'm friends with some of the top thai boxers in the UK and none of them would gain weight to fight i know that! personally i fight 58 - 60kg and walk around at about 66/67kg.

i'm not sure if the weigh in for the fight will be the day before but if is,and you have gained weight to reach 185lbs (about 84kg), there's a good chance that your opponent has dropped weight to make 84kg and will be coming into the ring the next day about 5 or 6 kg heavier than you

Boomtrain

Postby Boomtrain » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Cheers for the advice. The primary reason I asked was that I consider my self a tactical heavy hitter, so if I could make my weight count... that was my reasoning anyway.

I can see the wisdom in your words. Especially where I live, the sport is dominated by rather large islander boys with a lot of height and weight to throw about.

Krab

Postby Krab » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Arnold Oborotov is a talented young fighter from the UK who fights at 86kg. He's so tall I doubt I could even reach his face and I'm 5'10. Fighters that height at that weight are pretty common so I think you'd be better off losing weight than putting it on . Reach advantage plays such a big part in Muay Thai that if your fighting a much taller opponent your likely to get picked apart. At 5'8/5'9 your better off fighting at Darren's weight but even than he'd have a height advatage on you. Obviously your unlikey to lose that much weight but around 70kg would probably be a better weight for your height.
“Here I am in front of you, you may break my bones, tear my skin, but you will never break my spirit, you can never take my heart!”

Fuck the Naysayers!

Mike's Log

Shuruga

Postby Shuruga » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 am

I'm in the same sort of boat. I hit puberty late and grew a few inches and i'm still filling out my frame. My coach tells me to keep it off but theres a certain vanity in me that wants to fill our properly and not look so skinny.
Just do whatever makes you happy man.
Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.
Miyamoto Musashi

kream

Postby kream » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:17 am

well many fighters when they age start filling them selves otu a fair heap, have a look at JWP or paul slowinski... JWP was fighting at 63kg when he won his first title at 17 and now fights at 70kg and i hear he cuts over 10kg to get there..

if you have a look at paul slowinski when he first started fighting and now you'll see how much bigger he has gotten..

I say just go with the flow, if you're worried about putting on weight, lay off the lifting heavy.. I think it's good if you're putting on the weight naturally
In a street brawl, I strike men quicker than lightnin,You seen what happened in my last fight friend? Aight then

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:40 pm

I train and fight muay thai... I'm 6ft and fight at 155lbs and I'm really not take than anyone... recently fought a national tournament and was on the shorter side of the weight class my coach wants me to cut to 145 lbs which is still not that tall for the weight class. .. i would say this if you fighTing soon cut to where you hate everyone but still feel strong. . It depends on how much muscle mass you have buy typically most nak myays your height fight at 135 lbs.... the guys you would fight at 170 lbs would all be bigger and if they cut properly stronger than you if you're ok with that then go to war with these guys but you have thebest chances of Winning at a lower weight class just my 2 cents
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

Return to “MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training”