Recommend me a program

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
NLBurden

Recommend me a program

Postby NLBurden » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi guys, Burden back again! I'm getting back into my roots with training again. After finishing engineering school, i've put on weight and sacrificed my health for getting good marks. Now it worked out, i made it as a honors student. So now I gotta get back in shape. I'm a good solid 60-80 lbs overweight now, and looking to lose it. Got the diet dialed back in, eating at a deficit to lose 2 lbs of fat a week from diet.
Can you guys recommend me a program to do to get back into shape? I want good conditioning, cardio, and decent strength. Conditioning is my main goal. Being overweight, jogging and burpees and stuff like that will be hard on the knees ( i know from trying for the last couple weeks).

I'd like to follow the 50 day plan in infinite intensity, but the burpees will kick my chunky @ss horribly.So i need to build myself back up. I attempted the local police fitness test ( they had free tries) just to access my fitness levels and found it extremely difficult.

On a side note, I have gymnastic rings in my basement, a few weights, sledge hammer and a sandbag!

hope all is well!

-Burden
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu

Time to get back on the horse.

Snaplight

Re: Recommend me a program

Postby Snaplight » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 am

Just start walking dude, every day - an hour minimum.

Review after a month or three.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Welcome back! Congrats on your engineering degree! Proud of you, man!

Remind us your age, training history and injury history? Can help us give better advice.

Assuming you're late 20s/early 30s and have been pretty sedentary for a couple years, I think your best route is to start gently. Go for long walks, as well as non explosive strength training. This will gradually strengthen your connective tissues and get you ready for more intense training later on.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

NLBurden

Postby NLBurden » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm

pathfighter wrote:Welcome back! Congrats on your engineering degree! Proud of you, man!

Remind us your age, training history and injury history? Can help us give better advice.

Assuming you're late 20s/early 30s and have been pretty sedentary for a couple years, I think your best route is to start gently. Go for long walks, as well as non explosive strength training. This will gradually strengthen your connective tissues and get you ready for more intense training later on.

Thanks bud, Glad to see you still on these forums. Rosstraining is where my interest in fitness began. I'm 26 now, got two degrees behind me :mozilla_frown: haha. First one didn't pan out so I had to retrain. I was in good shape last year, I got down to 190 lbs, But i did it too intense and lost the weight too fast.I am back to 255 lbs roughly now. Dropping the weight quickly caused me to have low blood pressure, super low resting pulse, and blood sugars were messed up, I would even get dizzy in the gym. I actually stopped training regularly and ate more to counteract the symptoms(done medical testing, found nothing "wrong"). Eventually, after gaining back weight, I was back healthy and stable again. So my approach this time won't be as extreme, I intend on using exercise more then a brutal harsh eating regime.I was in school up until April. So within the last 2-3 months, I do hikes / walks probably every second or third day. Was lifting weights as well at the gym. However, I want to utilize my home gym and start training towards conditioning again.
For injuries, no recent injuries(thank god). Although I did break my back years ago, which has since healed fully. So Core is a must for me, that way I can keep that lower back strong and healthy!
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." Lao Tzu

Time to get back on the horse.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:44 am

Oh yeah, I remember now. Thanks for checking in again, dude.

You're quite a bit overweight, and that in and of itself is a kind of training stimulus. You're wearing a weighted vest everwhere you go. I still think I'd focus on walking and strength training, with a focus on core, for the timebeing. As you get more comfortable with walking, you can start to shuffle, then eventually run.

Once you've stripped most of the weight, that's the time to add the HIIT back in.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:02 pm

I'll put in another good word for walking. I wish I did more of it when I was trying to get back in shape.

EagerNewbie

Postby EagerNewbie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 am

Hey,

congrats for your degree and the grades, you are great! :)

I think when you are a newbie or when you restart, you shouldn't overthink your program, because of two reasons:

1. anything will work if you stick to it
2. your diet is the core of development.

A lot of people try to find a magic workout plan that is soooo effective that it works even when they eat donuts and deep fried crap all the time. There is no such thing. Stick to a high protein, moderate carb, low fat, zero sugar diet, and do... well, pretty much any kind of training. Then you can think again after half a year. ;)

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”