Is the "40% of 1RM barbell lift" rule a good benchmark for setting dumbbell goals?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
charsplusjk

Is the "40% of 1RM barbell lift" rule a good benchmark for setting dumbbell goals?

Postby charsplusjk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am

Hi everyone! Im planning on buying a single dumbbell handle and some plates this month, and I'm trying to set some goals for myself.
I don't remember where I read it, but someone was saying that a good goal for unilateral training is 40% of the 1RM of the barbell lift.
A good benchmark for the barbell bench press for example is 2x BW 1RM. So would a dumbbell bench press of 80% BW 1RM be a good strength goal?
Would this rule work for the dumbbell olympic lifts also?
How do you guys set your dumbbell strength goals?
Sorry if this question was already asked before, I tried using the search bar but couldnt find anything
Thanks you!

elmatador

Re: Is the "40% of 1RM barbell lift" rule a good benchmark for setting dumbbell goals?

Postby elmatador » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 pm

https://www.t-nation.com/training/know- ... weaknesses

Not sure ab out dumbbell ratios but here is some ratios to aim for.

elmatador

Re: Is the "40% of 1RM barbell lift" rule a good benchmark for setting dumbbell goals?

Postby elmatador » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Truth be told I don't use dumbbells much. But I find there is good carryover from the barbell exercises . Especially comparing bars of the same thickness. Gym dumbbells tend to be very thick in the UK and static. Forget a spinning OL dumbbell . Your numbers will be much higher on an OL dumbbell of 1/4 compared to a nearly 2 inch thick static non-spinning dumbbell. Personally In find it takes less skill to clean or snatch a dumbbell compared to a barbell. My best barbell 1 hand power clean is around 60-70kg, dumbbells about the same. I stopped doing them due risk of injury ,as I persued my 1 rep max (totally unncecessarily) . I have started doing them again at the gym and I can barely manage a 50kg dumbbell ( at around 1.75-2 inches ) They are still very valuable to do but it is like comparing apples and oranges.

I have around 140-145kg bench press compared to perhaps 55kg -60kg thick db with a bit of a dip. So to answer your question it won't be close to your barbell bench press unless your never bench press. But even then not everyone has the same ratios.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”