Aerobic?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
speedy

Re: Aerobic?

Postby speedy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 am

pathfighter wrote:No, because you need long duration to get the best aerobic training effect.

If you train at high intensity, yes your aerobic system will be taxed, however the nature of high intensity is that you will tire quickly and you will not be able to sustain long duration.

The way to train the aerobic system is to go for a minimum of 45 minutes. Keep it low intensity. Keep it easy. It won't feel like you're working hard, but you will reap the benefit.

As someone that practices HIIT I have a question. I don't do this currently on a regular basis simply because of the ice and ridiculously cold temperatures, but I try after dinner or sometimes before it go for a walk on my road. Understand at least a half-of-a-mile one way is a hill that from eye view doesn't seem like much but trust me it taxes you. So from a simple walk that I average 30-plus minutes do you think that falls under aerobic?
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 pm

speedy wrote:
pathfighter wrote:No, because you need long duration to get the best aerobic training effect.

If you train at high intensity, yes your aerobic system will be taxed, however the nature of high intensity is that you will tire quickly and you will not be able to sustain long duration.

The way to train the aerobic system is to go for a minimum of 45 minutes. Keep it low intensity. Keep it easy. It won't feel like you're working hard, but you will reap the benefit.

As someone that practices HIIT I have a question. I don't do this currently on a regular basis simply because of the ice and ridiculously cold temperatures, but I try after dinner or sometimes before it go for a walk on my road. Understand at least a half-of-a-mile one way is a hill that from eye view doesn't seem like much but trust me it taxes you. So from a simple walk that I average 30-plus minutes do you think that falls under aerobic?

Potentially, yes. To train aerobically, you simply keep your heart rate down in the aerobic zone. If you are breathing harder than normal, but you can still hold a conversation, then you are probably where you need to be for aerobic. When people first training aerobically, they are sometimes shocked at how slow they have to go to avoid going into the anaerobic zone. Eventually, as you build the system up, you'll be able to go faster and faster while maintaining the same low heart rate.

30-45 minutes is about the minimum to benefit from aerobic workouts.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 pm

I found that jogging once a week for 30-45 is optimal for me.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”