We're fit and strong.. but are we healthy?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
maynard

Re: We're fit and strong.. but are we healthy?

Postby maynard » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 am

The way I see it, everyone who trains hard, eats healthy, has a low body fat percentage, strong heart from conditioning, ect. is healthy. Compared to an average person, even althletes who make certain sacrifices are healthy. Obviously, one who was training for pure longevity may be technically healthier, but what is the point of that. I dont train hard for hopes of reaching 100 years of age. Sure, us mixed martial artists, boxers, grapplers, powerlifters had to make some sacrifices, and may suffer from arthritis later in life, but the body adapts to demands, so a boxers body becomes used to boxing.
There are always extremes, anything can be done to the point o fbeing unhealthy. In general I would belive that the circle of people who come on the ross forums are healthy as shit compared to 99.99 percent of the world.

mrallen1971

Postby mrallen1971 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 am

garythenuke wrote:Well since you asked about "health", I have an interesting story. I was in my dentist's office on Thrusday. I had been putting it off for four weeks because I have some sort of bronchitis/flu/asthma/black lung thing going on and I cannot lay back in the chair without coughing my spleen out.

He was joking and said "you know your problem... You're too dang healthy". And we had a good laugh. But then I talked to him afterwords and he told me that he has not been sick in probably five or six years (kind of like Ross) but he certainly does not eat healthy. He is in his 50's and is overweight and does not work out. His idea of an active vacation is to take three weeks and ride his Harley to DC or British Columbia.
He has no diabetes, no heart disease, no blood chemistry issues, nothing. His blood pressure is next to nothing. He hunts and eats red meat, eats at Circle K convenience store, enjoys ice cream and an occasional beer or stiff drink.

Basically I wanted to punch him right there.... But my point is that by most anyone's definition he is in perfect health. He's not training for any event and has no need for anything above average fitness. Obviously he's blessed with some sort of alien genetics, but nevertheless, he is HEALTHY by most any definition.

It seems the one thing, that scientists and health enthusiasts and everyone else for that matter, seem to forget when considering health or anything else is the INDIVIDUAL factor. What I mean by that is there are some people that just never "fit" into the general ideas of "health". There's something else at play and that's the "individual" factor. And in my personal opinion it's the most important factor there is.
-Larry
"I may not get to heaven but I'm sure I won't go to hell.
The devil hates competition!" :) - Me

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 pm

w1cked wrote:Fitness isn't the same as health.

Truth ^

And just to add, competitive athletes are not training for health. When I train a fighter, I'm there to get him ready to hurt his opponent. That's the goal. Win the fight. The same can be said of any high level sport.

It's a choice that must be made by the individual. It's also a choice that will likely change throughout your life.

Smiling Jack

Postby Smiling Jack » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:40 pm

I started with powerlifting, just to lift a lot, eventually I stopped and did bodybuilding, still lifting very heavy weights and never suffered a joint injury. Then I did Rosstraining a few years back and still had no injury. I quit when I went to Paris Island and then started Rosstraining again, but now I really picked up the pace. The only injury I suffered was acually in boot camp, and it was just a fractured hand. Maybe it is because I drink a lot of milk. I would say I am healthy considering that is my only injury I have had my whole life, plus I rarely get sick. Oh yeah, my blood pressure is around 120/70 but when I had it checked it was a while ago when I really didn't care for cardio. Obviously I should be healthy considering my age, I am 20, and high blood pressure and heart problems run in my fathers side of the family even though my whole family is in great shape. And skin cancer runs in my mothers side. Damn Irish skin.

Other than the risk of cancer, heart attacks and beig shot by a terrorist I would say I am healthy Now, that's funny. I just try to avoid exercises that cause me pain, that is the obvious answer to avoid injury. Just have a good connection between mind and body.

Justin_P

Postby Justin_P » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:02 am

The truth behind most sports (especially weight lifting sports) is that they don't really give a shit about being healthy. They only care about their health if it prevents them from doing their sport. Furthermore, their measure of their health is their ability to do their sport.

ato

Postby ato » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 am

Some are healthier than others. Some are stronger than others. Some are none of the above. To me, health is mostly a cardiovascular issue. I want a reasonably low resting heart rate and I don't want any plaque clogging my arteries. Diet, exercise and rest will take care of those objectives.
KeyboardWarrior wrote: Little girls in china can lift more weight than you do. What's your excuse?

Pretherius

Postby Pretherius » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:48 am

garythenuke wrote:Basically I wanted to punch him right there.... But my point is that by most anyone's definition he is in perfect health. He's not training for any event and has no need for anything above average fitness. Obviously he's blessed with some sort of alien genetics, but nevertheless, he is HEALTHY by most any definition.

Can't do much about genetics (yet), but it may console you to consider how much longer he could potentially live if he did all the right things instead of many of the wrong ones.

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:35 pm

The truth behind most sports (especially weight lifting sports) is that they don't really give a shit about being healthy. They only care about their health if it prevents them from doing their sport. Furthermore, their measure of their health is their ability to do their sport.

x2

Winning is what matters. An athlete who obsesses over health concerns would never be involved in a sport such as boxing. No one in their right mind believes it is healthy for a trained fighter to punch you as hard as he can.

It is a risk that competitive athletes are willing to take (at least temporarily).

Robert223

Postby Robert223 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:12 am

same here...when i returned to thailand in 08 i was amongst the fittest people in the gym as most of them just did aerobic runs and thaiboxing without any additional work.
BUT i got the most injuries and got sick during my stay!

i say fuck it, i'd rather be fit and unhealthy...maybe just increase recovery time a little from time to time but thats it

Seburo

Postby Seburo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:53 am

Guy looks big and strong... but is he functional?
"Oh you get bulky" olympic lifter girl.
Unlike religion and politics, science has no ego and everything it suggests accepts the possibility of being proven wrong, eventually. - Peter Johnson
"One up the bum and you won't be a mum" - UK Sex ed video

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”