Isometric deadlifting and squating

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
SteveTaylor

Isometric deadlifting and squating

Postby SteveTaylor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 am

Okay, I do not have a spotter or, realistically, much room for weights and a bar. Therefore a friend knocked up a platform with two chains attached to a bar with a variable distance for me to use.

I was going to use this thing for isometric deadlifts and squats. Yeah, I know it is not as good as a barbell but it is better than complaining about my lack of a barbell.

Does anyone know how to set a routine like this up? Can I have the chain set in three positions which mark the start, mid and end of a deadlift (for example) and then pull against each of these points for 5 seconds? Would I need to do multiple reps of this?
Training priority for combat sport is SKILL, CONDITIONING, STRENGTH.
I swear I will smash your face in with a brick if you keep arguing!

log
SCA intro

Andy Patterson

Re: Isometric deadlifting and squating

Postby Andy Patterson » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Steve,

I just made one myself this last weekend. Just the basic tool from NG. One routine I found fun and effective this week was:

Deadlift (low, mid, full) x 5 sec.
Repeat 3 sets (minimal rest is obtained while switching the chain link positions)

1 arm snatch (low, mid, full - each arm) x 5 sec.
Repeat 3 sets (minimal rest is obtained while switching the chain link positions)

For snatches you can attach a 12" dowel with eye bolts perpendicularly seated (so you can comfortably fit the chain and bolt between your middle and ring finger)

Hope this helps a bit ;)
Resident Madman and Co-Founder of Annual Demolition Day

Justin_P wrote:Andy, I just want to take this opportunity to tell you...

YOU'RE A F-CK-R!

:mozilla_yell: :mozilla_laughing: :doh:

SteveTaylor

Postby SteveTaylor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 am

Great, thanks!
Training priority for combat sport is SKILL, CONDITIONING, STRENGTH.
I swear I will smash your face in with a brick if you keep arguing!

log
SCA intro

douglis

Postby douglis » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

In my iso routine I use more reps(~10-12) and train each bodypart twice a week.This way I got better size gains.

Ross Enamait
Site Admin

Postby Ross Enamait » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:09 am

Does anyone know how to set a routine like this up? Can I have the chain set in three positions which mark the start, mid and end of a deadlift (for example) and then pull against each of these points for 5 seconds? Would I need to do multiple reps of this?

I often will work one link at a time throughout a specific range of motion. This is what I did when working extensively on one arm overhead presses. I would start at the bottom and train each link for one or two max efforts. One day I would start at the bottom, and the next session I would start at the top (to have days where I hit each region fresh).

You may not need to hit so many angles of course. It depends on available time, what else you are doing, etc.

Lastly, I recommend the addition of a strong spring link if possible. It will add a dynamic element to the isometric work. I've found the addition very useful.

More info here:
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/02/23 ... tric-tool/

Ross

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”