100 burpees revisited

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
RepublicJim

100 burpees revisited

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Nearly a month ago I posted in the original 100 burpee thread about my first attempt. Almost immediately after that the discussion blew up into an argument about breathing technique. I’m posting a new topic in order to refocus onto the original topic.

For the record, I suffer from hay fever, especially this time of year, and am often quite congested. When I have to choose between mouth-breathing or suffocating, I opt to continue breathing. Therefore, my burpees have been performed while mouth-breathing and gasping for air. My focus has been simply on completing all 100 chest-to-the-ground burpees, and on the total time that it takes.

So, after my first attempt last month took an underwhelming 13:43, I was determined to improve this month. Today marked the second time in my entire life that I have done 100 burpees in one workout (or even in a full day!) My conditioning is improving, but I still have a long way to go before I turn in a fast time for this. I still need to lose some weight and improve my leg strength and endurance. However, doing this challenge monthly provides a good indicator of how I’m progressing.

This time I was able to maintain a better pace throughout, with fewer breathers, but it still seriously kicked my butt. When I hit 95 my quads were in agony and I was on the verge of stopping for a quick rest before completing the final five. Then I glanced up at the clock and saw it hit 9:30. At that point I had to suck it up and complete the challenge before the ten minute mark! Those last five burpees felt like I was mired in thick mud. It took me a whopping 24 seconds to complete them. However, that gave me a final time of 9:54, which made the agony all worth it. I’ll take that time for my second attempt!

In the coming months I expect to make quite a bit more improvement. I’ll see how it goes, but I think that eventually I should at least be able to shave off two or three more minutes. Look for regular updates…
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Sublime

Re: 100 burpees revisited

Postby Sublime » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:14 pm

:clap: under 10min is badass!
Keep it up man, it probably won't get easier but times will improve. I need to get back into this.....I took WAY too long off and am now paying the price so thanks for the motivation!
Pain is weakness leaving the body!

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”