Adding explosive pushups?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
The Hansenator

Adding explosive pushups?

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:52 pm

How do you program explosive pushups?

I'd like to start adding it but wasn't sure how it would be programmed.

Thanks

Snaplight

Re: Adding explosive pushups?

Postby Snaplight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:56 am

The Hansenator wrote:How do you program explosive pushups?

I'd like to start adding it but wasn't sure how it would be programmed.

Thanks

Really Really cautiously depending on your age , previous training experience , shoulder girdle integrity ( potential injury margin ) and current fundamental level of push up ability.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 am

Snaplight wrote:
Really Really cautiously depending on your age , previous training experience , shoulder girdle integrity ( potential injury margin ) and current fundamental level of push up ability.

Ok, that's a really good point.

Just turned 50, it's been hard to stay in shape because of some chronic issues, history of shoulder problems, doing pushups without discomfort is a fairly recent development.

Perhaps I'm not a good candidate for explosive pushups.

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 am

The Hansenator wrote:
Snaplight wrote:

Ok, that's a really good point.

Just turned 50, it's been hard to stay in shape because of some chronic issues, history of shoulder problems, doing pushups without discomfort is a fairly recent development.

Perhaps I'm not a good candidate for explosive pushups.

Yeah... my reply was going to try and be a bit more positive and upbeat but from those two things i would just and try and enjoy the variety of Push Up options available without the dynamic element.

Also , ask yourself , why you want to include the ' explosive ' element of this?? to what point? are you likely to compete in something.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 am

I've read that, as you get older, explosiveness is the first to go. And that's certainly been my experience. Also there's a relation between power development and life expectancy so some coaches make it a point to include some kind of power training with their older athletes.

But I suppose you do what you can.

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:45 pm

I would take it super casual at first. Add a couple reps of explosive finishers to your work sets. You will benefit. And if you take to them, then add some dedicated sets.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:19 pm

I prefer to do my explosive movements at the beginning of my workout, immediately after warming up. That way I'm fresh, not trying to exert maximum force when fatigued. Doing it at the start also helps to fire up the CNS for subsequent heavy lifting sessions.

Keep the reps low (usually in the 3-5 range) and reset between each rep so as to really focus on strict form and being as explosive as possible. Not all of my workouts include explosive movements, but I like to do them at least a couple of times per week. Also, I don't limit them to just one movement (i.e. pushups). Using several different movements (but only one or two per workout) such as jumps, plyo pushups, kettlebell swings, hammer strikes, slams/throws, cleans, push presses, etc. keeps things interesting for me and provides the most overall athletic benefits.

As mentioned already, take it slow and cautiously at first. However, remember that you don't have to do explosive pushups from the ground if you have difficulty doing that safely. You can start with incline pushups using a bench, or even standing and leaning forward against a wall. The higher the surface your hands are on, the less weight on your arms and the easier you will be able to violently push away. Just make sure that whatever you're using will not move when you push off. If you start out doing explosive incline pushups, you can gradually progress to lower surfaces and then to the ground.

FWIW, I recently turned 53, with typical wear and tear on my body from many years of hard labor and silly accidents. I'm now doing more frequent explosive training than I have ever done in my life, so it is certainly possible even after 50. Just be smart, watch your shoulder health, and build up gradually. I wish you the best with your training.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Baby steps has become my go to strategy. Anything more seems to get me into trouble. Maybe I'll just start with a couple 5 rep sets of pushups after warmup but do them a little faster than I normally would and see how that goes. Hopefully "explosive" will come with time.

Preinar

Postby Preinar » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:33 pm

You can try adding a resistance band to your pushups. In the beginning it may be more of a strength challenge, but but with the band you can accelerate without actually jumping

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”