Reverse lunge vs slideboard lunge?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
The Hansenator

Reverse lunge vs slideboard lunge?

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Is there a reason to choose one over the other? Reverse lunges and slideboard lunges seem very similar although they do feel a little different. I'm just wondering if one is "better" for some reason.

Zero the Hero

Re: Reverse lunge vs slideboard lunge?

Postby Zero the Hero » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:57 pm

I use the slideboard lunge.

I like it because I can do the eccentric portion real slow then explode from the bottom.

I think this exercise has really helped me with my takedown penetration steps in grappling.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:37 pm

I have never tried slideboard lunges, but T-nation just had an article the other day that explained the benefits in detail. Technically, they mention Valslide lunges, but the mechanics of the movement are the same either way.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/get-bigger-feel-better-7-smart-exercises

The lunge in question is the final exercise of the seven listed, so scroll to the end of the article. After reading this I may have to try them sometime.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 am

When I try the slideboard lunge (actually "furniture slider lunge" in my case), it feels like my sliding foot goes off to the side. I should find a mirror and see if that's what's actually happening.

I'm also using it as a progression toward airborne lunges. In the reverse lunge it seems like it might help to keep the stepping foot in the air as much as possible.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”