45 and signed up for a boxing gym

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
speedy

45 and signed up for a boxing gym

Postby speedy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:40 am

Been about a decade since I last worked out a boxing gym and now I am going back to a new one in Danbury CT at 45 years old.

Anyone did this at this age? How painful was it?
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

Zero the Hero

Re: 45 and signed up for a boxing gym

Postby Zero the Hero » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Started MMA in my 40s.

As long as you are consistent in your training, train smart and focus on recovery, you'll do very well.

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks. I am shaking off the rust and did 6 rounds with the heavy bag. My elbow is soar but going back tomorrow.
Dr Sara Salomon <---more than just a pretty face. She is smart and has a lot of insight and yes I admit it, easy on the eyes. :mozilla_cool:

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Boxing is fantastic for fitness at any age.

Sparring, on the other hand, I'd leave to the youth.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

speedy

Postby speedy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 pm

pathfighter wrote:...Sparring, on the other hand, I'd leave to the youth.

We'll see. Last gym I signed up for said not interested in fighting. Next thing I know I went a round with a former pro fighter that rang my bell twice in one round. I also agreed to a sparring competition...which I won. Then again I was about 35 give or take at the time.

I want to at least work with someone on focus pads and technique. The fitness will come in time.

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Took my first actual Boxing class last night. I'm 40 years old.... I've got a background starting in TMA way back, then Krav Maga at a reputable school (Ryan Hoover), then combatives, various knife seminars and gun training. I've done hands but I've never done normal boxing. It's a city run free class with probably 30 people attending. The teacher moves really well and the group is friendly, respectful to each other, and laid back. The ages range from 8 to 40's. Thankfully, I'd had a few weeks of time to get working on a heavy bag again (bas rutten yelling at me) so I didn't do too badly. I'm coming off of a bit of a bad time with my back and some new rehab ideas are really helping. I'm sore...but going to keep going. My schedule makes Friday nights ROUGH to keep free, but I'm going to work on it. It was seriously intimidating and a rough workout 2 hours long. I think I picked up a few good things even with the language barriers. Sorry for the rambling.

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:54 am

Well did my one-on-one training session working on technique. I had to eventually tap out. I kept reminding the guy I am 45 but didn't matter.

bpc

Postby bpc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm

I can related guys.

I'll be 43 but honestly my technique, strength, speed, etc. is all still there. It's the lingering aches/pains and injuries/overuse I've acrued over the years from the military, PT tests, rec basketball, training mma for "fun," lifting weights, working security at a club/bar off base in Japan, etc. that really drive me nuts and slow me down some times. Still definitely got it though and just have a Dragon warrior/spartan type mindset and don't give up. I love being active too much and I guess I'm just a big kid at heart who likes to play with all of the kids (like yesterday) at family events, etc.

Jesse-how's it going buddy? I never realized you trained with Bas? I used to drill in California (2004-2013) in Channel Islands/Port Hueneme area and a few of the Air Force guys also trained at Bas's gym in the Valley I believe.

Anchorplz

Postby Anchorplz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm pushing 40 and feel like a 25 year old... until the day after the workout, then I REALLY feel my age. my only advice is to pace yourself. You're learning the skill and the ability will eventually get there. btw, great for you in joining! love the sport and the training but like others have said, I leave the sparring for youth. :mozilla_laughing:

speedy

Postby speedy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Been about 2 months now. Quite a few of pro fighters there and this one chick who I don't know if she is fighting pro but she is busting her ass to improve.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”