How do you train your weighted carries?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
brickmasonjoe

How do you train your weighted carries?

Postby brickmasonjoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:27 am

The end of my strength trainings, i do what I call my burnouts.

Sandbag carries monday and friday... When I do shoulder carries, I keep a 35lbs kettlebell in my other hand.. Wednesday, I do sledgehammer swings in different positions.. No tire so hit air. Now I'm doing Farmer walks on Wednesdays.. I carry my 70lbs kettlebell in one hand and my 35lbs kettle bell in the other hand over head. I just started doing it, 45 seconds each side. I want to work up to 3 minutes each side.

So i'm doing weighted carries 3 times a week, farmers carries twice a week. Just curious how other people do it? FWIW, Carries in my opinion are the BEST exercise. That is why I practice them so often.

RepublicJim

Re: How do you train your weighted carries?

Postby RepublicJim » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Nice timing on this post. I normally include carries at the end of some of my workouts (generally about 2/week), but in April I'm changing things up and doing a whole month dedicated exclusively to carries, pushes, and pulls. Everything I do will involve moving weights of some kind from one point to another, rather than performing any stationary lifts. There's not really any logic or progression to it, but it will provide some much-needed variety and challenging fun for me, as I plan to use quite an assortment of implements and methods of moving them.

Once April is over I will return to a more conventional training schedule with frequent carries as finishers. My preference is to cycle between different carry styles (farmer's, waiter's, suitcase, Zercher, etc.) each time, and to alternate between heavy weights for short distance and lighter for time/distance. Carries for time are great for muscle endurance and fat-burning, but regular very-heavy carries do great things for improving maximum strength. Some of each style is the best of both worlds, at least for me.

For heavy carries I usually use a trap bar, since I can safely load that up as heavy as I can possibly move. Occasionally, for extra work on grip and stabilizing, I go with a barbell in either hand (some day I'll make actual farmer's walk implements). If neither of those are an option for you, your kettlebells are still great for conditioning, and the unequal weights definitely work the stabilizing muscles. For a really crazy core challenge, use bands or bungee cords to hang the 'bells from a bar and do Zercher or overhead carries.

Have fun with your training. I am impressed that you have the energy to do your physical job and still train like that. Keep up the great work!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

brickmasonjoe

Postby brickmasonjoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks. I'm not the strongest, fastest....But I can honestly say without bragging, I have a very high work capacity. We don't do as much masonry as we used too. I'd love too and if i did, i'd still workout the same. We do more general contracting.. Some jobs are really physical, some aren't.

Yesterday, I threw out about 20 bags full of trash that must of weighed 100lbs each on average, and loads of brick and masonry debris. It was a breeze and I thank that to the carries.

I love masonry, but my dad doesn't. I get it, it's very tough and there is way more too it than it seems and you live your life by the weather. I also blacksmith as a hobby. The more physical the work, the better. There's something wrong with me.

Funny story. One time on a job, I was holding a heavy piece of granite for the homeowners to take.. I was waiting for him to unlock his car so I could put it in there for him... They where standing there talking for 5 minutes before he unlocked the car.. The next day he went to move it and thought it was light because I was holding it for so long.

Good luck with the carries in April. I may try something like that some time.

Adski

Postby Adski » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Sandbag carries are tough to beat. I use a couple of things I picked up from Ross’s book, untapped strength.

Pinch block Farmers carries are one I have been using a bit of lately as well as a static hold on Deadlifts, holding at the top of the last rep/set until just short of hand failure.
The best things in life are earned, not bought. -Chris "Ludacris" Bridges

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 pm

I forgot to mention that I have also been doing supplemental weighted carries at work for close to two months now. For quite a while I have had a couple of 50lb weights sitting under my desk for times when I'm waiting for reboots, downloads, software installs, etc. and want to get in a little extra exercise. It finally dawned on me that I could do more without costing any time at all by simply performing suitcase carries every time I go up or down the stairs to my basement office. I grab a weight in one hand, go up the stairs, set it down on the landing, and go about my business. When I return I grab it in the other hand, carry it back down to my desk, and get to work. At first it was hard to remember to grab the weight when I left my desk, but now it's just habit.

On any given day my round trips on the stairs generally range from five to ten. The weight is light enough that it doesn't tire my grip or cut into my recovery, but heavy enough that I know it has to have some overall benefit. It really tests my stabilizer muscles when I carry a full cup of hot coffee in the other hand! Over the long term this method will result in moving quite a bit of extra weight up and down stairs, and it doesn't interfere with my work. It's not at all the same as getting outdoors and doing heavy manual labor, but it sure helps inject a little physicality into an otherwise mostly-sedentary job.
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

brickmasonjoe

Postby brickmasonjoe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 am

^That is awesome.

Little things like that make a huge difference. I even try to carry things at work that make it harder for me.

I was gonna carry two 80lbs bags of concrete yesterday to speed things up.. Probably could have done it, but I messed up my back last week so I opted out.

charsplusjk

Postby charsplusjk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm

i made a sandbag in the beginning of january, and it is by far one of my favorites training tools. i am using it for sandbag squats and carries.
i am doing sandbag carries 2x week as strength workout finishers, walking back and forth around my room.
it felt great today to walk around with a 47,5kg (roughly 105 pounds), and i did 184 meters in under 5 minutes
i know these are not great numbers, but i like comparing them with what i used to do in january

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”