"You Cant Hurt Me"

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Snaplight

"You Cant Hurt Me"

Postby Snaplight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 am

Not entirely sure where to place this in the forum..

I've only heard good things of the following:-

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-Mas ... 1544512287

I've just downloaded the Audiobook and think it maybe of interest to people here.

Anyone listened or read it?

SinisterAlex

Re: "You Cant Hurt Me"

Postby SinisterAlex » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Reading as we speak.

What do you think of it?

Alex

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 am

SinisterAlex wrote:Reading as we speak.

What do you think of it?

Alex

I've downloaded it as an audible book . yet to listen to it as need to find the time in between the seasonal festivities. A good friend of mine that teaches/taught me Combatives recommended it.

Fel

Postby Fel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:08 am

This book was enjoyable and helped me understand what goes on the mind of an ultra runner. The following documentary will aid you with some information surrounding the chapter that discussed the Badwater event and Akos Konya who's talked about in the book by Goggins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEuWGCq5pc

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:19 pm

David Googins is more than a ultra runner you have to read his story
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 pm

I haven't read his book, but I listened to his podcast on Rogan. I don't plan to read this book, based on what I heard.

It's a common enough trope that "it's all in the mind" or "you just have to want it hard enough". That kind of advice is fine for lazy people. Plenty of people are lazy or unmotivated, and could benefit from advice like this.

I myself have pushed through serious hardship on mountaineering expeditions, etc. I got a doctorate from a top university. That took years and perseverance. I think most people on this forum are well past being told not to be lazy.

But there's a special twist to David's thesis. He believes his superior mind control allows him to realize his remarkable achievements. This is largely delusional. People like David Goggins are physical freaks. In fact, the main differentiating factor that I've seen in my friends who are elite athletes or special operators or mountain guides or the like is that they heal incredibly quickly. I have personally seen these people heal over the course of days what would normally cripple someone else or at the very least require months or years to recover from. People like that can't offer advice to normal people like me.

So in sum, I find the idea behind the book to be a bit patronizing. He points to his exceptional, elite-level physical achievements, and tells others that there is something wrong with their thinking or mental state if they can't achieve the same.

So, it's a pass from me.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Fel

Postby Fel » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:13 am

pathfighter wrote:I haven't read his book, but I listened to his podcast on Rogan. I don't plan to read this book, based on what I heard.

It's a common enough trope that "it's all in the mind" or "you just have to want it hard enough". That kind of advice is fine for lazy people. Plenty of people are lazy or unmotivated, and could benefit from advice like this.

I myself have pushed through serious hardship on mountaineering expeditions, etc. I got a doctorate from a top university. That took years and perseverance. I think most people on this forum are well past being told not to be lazy.

But there's a special twist to David's thesis. He believes his superior mind control allows him to realize his remarkable achievements. This is largely delusional. People like David Goggins are physical freaks. In fact, the main differentiating factor that I've seen in my friends who are elite athletes or special operators or mountain guides or the like is that they heal incredibly quickly. I have personally seen these people heal over the course of days what would normally cripple someone else or at the very least require months or years to recover from. People like that can't offer advice to normal people like me.

So in sum, I find the idea behind the book to be a bit patronizing. He points to his exceptional, elite-level physical achievements, and tells others that there is something wrong with their thinking or mental state if they can't achieve the same.

So, it's a pass from me.

Yeah, you may have a point. I read the other book that's related to Goggins titled Living with a SEAL by Jesse Itzler, and the way Goggins treated that man (In front of his wife and kid) according to the book was with zero respect. I would never let someone treat me like that, but then again I'm sure there was some exaggeration in that story.

jkdman81

Postby jkdman81 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm

pathfighter wrote:I haven't read his book, but I listened to his podcast on Rogan. I don't plan to read this book, based on what I heard.

So, it's a pass from me.

Not gonna try tell you to change your mind or to tell you to go get the book but I think you underestimate his story or message it's more than just it's all in the mind it's more like how to find the demons in your own mind and how to use them.. most people on aren't lazy even the ones that are still are disiplined enough to put in the work.... But we all have our demons buy if you do the work to battle your demons you can find that inner peace or you can ignore the and let them plague you never finding true fulfillment
Like I said I'm not trying to change your opinion just got a different message I guess
my only limitation is having no limitations!!!!

phalipi

Postby phalipi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I know this post is a bit old, but Im seeing a lot of Goggins lately. I havent read the book nor do I need to. Ive listened to enough podcasts with him to know his story. I think the dude has a good lesson of perseverance and facing your weaknesses head on. The dude overcame massive adversity to achieve the successes he has earned. The first time I heard of the guy I was in awe of him. Every bit of info I could get from him I was trying to soak in to push myself a little harder. However, the more I found the more I started to not like the guy.
First, this dude thrives on pain. He is either so broken inside the only way to pull himself away is to do insanely difficult physical challenges, or he just enjoys the hell out of it. His behavior is not normal, and his mindpower message is misleading. Not all of us are capable of extreme focus and super endurance for anything, not just physical. There is also something inside of him driving his need to prove that he can do something. For example, going through BUDS 3 times. The dude didnt give a shit about being a SEAL. He just wanted to prove to himself he could make it and loved the distraction. He even said on the Team Never Quit podcast his best vacation destination is hell week (wtf). He is rumored to have been a terrible team guy and would continually turn down or try to get out of missions. Obviously the dude is so ego driven once the challenge of making it was over, the goal of the organization was of little to no importance.
Do I think he has had a positive impact on a lot of people? Absolutely. Is his lifestyle one that should be modeled? Definitely no. This dude will go through life never having any satisfaction, contentment, and will be alone. Or maybe he is content with constantly trying to implode his body and not having any genuine relationships. Maybe Im wrong about the guy, but i just see a sad, broken man who will never find peace.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am

So, it's a pass from me.

What you say resonates with me.

How many successful people have said "If I could do it, anyone could". Well, there have been a lot of people who gave it their all and it just didn't work out. And the bit about "it's all in your mind", in my humble experience, is the road to injury, burnout, and setbacks.

It's interesting what you mention about the relation between special operators/mountain guides and fast healing. That angle hasn't occurred to me but I've been increasingly aware of self-selecting groups who don't seem to appreciate how fortunate they are.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”