Illness, Injuries, Surgeries

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Arkann

Postby Arkann » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:45 am

I just want to share brief article written by tai chi practitioner. It is related to the life energy side of things and I believe can be very helpful to anyone who is training constantly.

Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Illnesses, injuries, and surgeries all mean one thing to your life energy levels.

They drop - sometimes precipitously.

So what can you do about that?

Of course, there are specifics about each case, but there are three overriding general principles you can follow: 1) don't push things; 2) do much less than you think you could; and 3) don't fully stop, if possible.

Think about it. Your body uses life energy to heal. So when you become ill, injured, or have surgery, your body pulls energy to the places in it where healing is needed. Such places are like life energy black holes; they pull energy from near and far in the body in order to become whole again.

The energy that they pull in is the same energy that you rely on for your day-to-day activities. This is why your energy levels drop. The energy that you usually have for your activities in the outside world is going inside to try to fix what's broken.

Some people go ahead and push forward anyway with their daily lives. This is a bad strategy. You'll either draw energy away from the healing that's needed so things heal very slowly or poorly, or you'll begin to draw down your life reserves - energy that you have stored in your body in reserve for times of emergency. If you use your emergency reserves foolishly, then they won't be there when you really need them.

So how do you know when you're pushing too hard? It's hard to tell. So err on the side of caution. At the beginning, take what you think you could do and do about 10 or 20 percent of that. Notice how your body reacts. If your healing proceeds well and you feel good, then test another level of activity. If not, then cut back and see how things go.

An alternative would be to just stop and wait until the healing is all done. For some situations, this may be what's called for. But in most situations, it's helpful to stay a little active. How much is a question of judgment.

By staying active and keeping moving a bit, you help keep your life energy circulating through your system to the places that need it. When you get it just right, you'll circulate just enough energy to support your healing, without interfering with it.

If you have any doubt about what level or type of activity would be detrimental to you or your healing, be sure to consult with your doctor or other medical professional.

There are some exercises which are particularly good at circulating energy. Walking is one. Within qigong, there are very good ones such as the Cloud Hands movements in tai chi forms or in Opening the Energy Gates qigong or the movement called Dragon & Tiger Meet in the Dragon & Tiger Qigong system.

Such exercises can be adapted for use even in extreme situations like confinement to a wheelchair or a hospital bed. Here you make your movements much smaller, but you still try to keep moving, even if it's just a tiny bit.

So the next time that you become sick, injured or have a surgery, remember: don't push, do less than you think you can, and don't stop, if possible.

Heal well.

Kathryn Komidar & Bill Ryan

Adski

Re: Illness, Injuries, Surgeries

Postby Adski » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I don’t use the same words, but I do try to live this way, or at least do my best to apply this strategy when it comes to training. These days I’m all about having good energy levels vs constantly pushing/running into the ground.

Great read.
The best things in life are earned, not bought. -Chris "Ludacris" Bridges

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Adski wrote:I don’t use the same words, but I do try to live this way, or at least do my best to apply this strategy when it comes to training. These days I’m all about having good energy levels vs constantly pushing/running into the ground.

Great read.

It’s all about life energy after all... Cheers.

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 am

Another great article..

To Feel Energy, Slow Down Your Mind

Many people have trouble feeling their bodies.

Many people have trouble feeling their chi, i.e. their life energy.

Why? There can be many reasons. But one common reason is that many people don't slow their minds down when they try to feel.

Your physical body and your chi are forms of energy. Modern physics has proven your physical body to be so. As physicists have delved deeper and deeper into the fundamental nature of physical matter, they have found not solid particles, but waves of energy.

As for your life energy - your chi, your prana, your ki, the energy which enables your body to perform its basic functions - mainstream scientists have yet to accept its existence. But in everyday life its existence is not questioned. Who cannot answer accurately this question we often ask ourselves: "How much energy do I have today?"

Your mind also is a form of energy. In our everyday language we acknowledge this by describing our minds in energetic terms. For example, we say things like the following. Sue has a quick mind. Just focus your mind on the problem at hand. He directed his attention toward me. John is such a clear thinker.

To feel your body or life energy, you must use your mind. The part of your mind that you use is what we call your "feeling awareness."

The problem is that the energy of your mind moves very fast. You can move your mind across the room incredibly quickly. You can look at and think about one corner of the room and then in an instant jump your mind across the room and think about the other corner.

You can't move your physical body across the room so quickly. You can move your life energy more quickly than your body, but not nearly as fast as your mind.

So if you want to feel your body or life energy, you have to slow your mind down to the speed of your body or life energy. Think of your mind as vibrating at a very high frequency, and your life energy as vibrating at a much lower frequency. In turn, your physical body vibrates even more slowly. For your mind to feel or resonate with these lower frequencies, you have to slow it down and tune in.

For most of us, it's easier to feel our body or life energy if we are not moving, either physically, energetically, or mentally. The stiller our bodies are and our minds become, the more likely we'll be able to feel.

When we are moving, it's a little trickier, because it's so easy to move our minds ahead of our bodies. We often first think of where we want our bodies or parts of our bodies to be, and then hope that our bodies arrive. When they do, our minds are often still one step ahead, on to the next thing.

To better feel your body or your life energy when you move, instead of "getting ahead of yourself," as the phrase goes, try letting your body lead and your mind follow. Or try letting your mind "ride" on your body.

Try this simple exercise. Hold your palm in front of your face. Try to feel everything that you can in your palm and fingers, including any life energy you feel in them. Wiggle your fingers if that helps. Now turn your hand very slowly until your palm faces away from you. Try not to think about where your hand is going; just feel. Let your mind move at the speed that your hand moves. Notice whether you are able to feel more than you usually would doing such a movement.

Try applying this approach to other ways that you move, whether it's when you walk, stand up, practice exercises, or whatever.

Slow your mind down and "occupy" your body and your life energy.

Enjoy.
Kathryn Komidar & Bill Ryan

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”