Knee sleeves?

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
StockyBlocky20

Knee sleeves?

Postby StockyBlocky20 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:56 am

Hi all -

While I wouldn't say that I have "bad" knees, over the last couple of years or so I've noticed that they've become a little more achy in general, particularly after exercises like box jumps, and especially when I do them on a harder surface.

Does anyone have thoughts on knee sleeves as daily protection for workouts? Advantages/disadvantages? Any particular type or brand?

Thanks!

pathfighter

Re: Knee sleeves?

Postby pathfighter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 am

Since no one else is taking this answer I'll give you my two cents.

You should not be using sleeves for normal athletics like running, jumping, walking. These are normal modes of human locomotion that we should be able to do unaided.

If you are having knee pain then you likely have issues with stability. This cause is often suboptimal core stability, and if that's the case that's good news because you can train it. You can also train proprioception.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

StockyBlocky20

Postby StockyBlocky20 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 am

Thanks for your advice, that's a good point.

What does suboptimal core stability refer to?

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Well, I haven't seen you move, so I can only speak in general terms.

Lots of our popular training modalities are in the saggital plane, and this includes core training. Western athletic culture generally neglects the coronal and transverse planes, especially for core training. What this means is that we're not as stable as we should be in the core when trying to execute athletic movements. A bit of instability in the core gets turned into huge torques in our outer extremities due to the lever arm effect.

If you are experiencing knee pain, there's a good chance its due to instability, and it could be due to sub-optimal core stability, as I explained above. It would be wise to go back and make sure your core training regimen is complete, covering all the planes of motion, and contains several types of anti-rotational exercises.

I personally suffered from this, though I was quite strong otherwise. Properly training my core has relieved a lot of back and knee pain issues that had dogged me for years.
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

StockyBlocky20

Postby StockyBlocky20 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 am

I see.... thank you for the explanation. I will look into some anti-rotational core work, as you say.

The Hansenator

Postby The Hansenator » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

It might be worth seeing a physical therapist. I've had knee pain on the right when a certain glute function was weak. I've also had knee pain on the left side due to an issue with the inner thigh and hamstring muscles. In both cases, the pt was able to identify the problem and give me exercises to correct it.

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:59 am

I think knee sleeves should be used only in heavy squatting, and by heavy i mean anything above double bodyweight.
I have not used them though.
Ocasionally i got some pain, clicking, discomfort etc when i was running very often, but all those went away with strength training.
νοῦς ὑγιής ἐν σώματι ὑγιεῖ

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”