Shoulder blades

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Arkann

Shoulder blades

Postby Arkann » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:40 am

Hi guys,

Just asking for some training wisdom here. I'd appreciate if anyone can share any drills or exercises to "wake up" shoulder blades. The issue I am experiencing is lack of body awareness of my shoulder blades. Ideally all arm movements should start from SB or include it to some extent. I am told that my SB are "dead" is a way.. I have been trying some mobility drills but no luck so far..

I'd guess that some of my previous injuries related to the issue as well..

I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers!

Snaplight

Re: Shoulder blades

Postby Snaplight » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:54 am

No entirely sure what you mean by ' dead ' ???

You could try activating them with hanging shrugs - get on the chinning bar in a dead ( but slightly active hand ) and just complete the first section of the chin movement - you're after trying to activate and retract the shoulder blades and no more.

Like to know what previous injuries you speak of. And who told you they were 'dead'? a professional?????

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:46 am

Snaplight wrote:No entirely sure what you mean by ' dead ' ???

You could try activating them with hanging shrugs - get on the chinning bar in a dead ( but slightly active hand ) and just complete the first section of the chin movement - you're after trying to activate and retract the shoulder blades and no more.

Like to know what previous injuries you speak of. And who told you they were 'dead'? a professional?????

Thank you for the respond.

- I mean that most of the upper body movements should include scapular movements.

And some arm movements should start with the shoulder blade move. If it is done correctly.

- I have had major injury related to the shoulder/neck/scapula in the past. I can blame my bad benching technique.

- Yes, my qigong teacher. But i am coming to the same conclusion by starting to get some body awareness with my qigong learning..

Snaplight

Postby Snaplight » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 am

I tend to believe in Science and Anatomy not Eastern disciplines but each to their own - I've always found to really rebuild that 'connection' ( thinking endless Push ups in boot camp ) that high rep range ( but sub max ) will assist.

How about getting some decent expander band / cable sets and working on scapular retraction ( horizontal ) , Overhead pull downs ( vertical ) and Y face pulls to engage the over looked posterior muscle groups.

Haven't had a chance to see your video.

RepublicJim

Postby RepublicJim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:29 pm

I second the hanging shrugs (scapular pull ups). Another good option is scapular push ups. A good mix of both will help you build up scapular strength and stability in both a vertical and a horizontal plane. I didn't have much awareness of my scapular movement during pulls or pushes until I did a lot of reps of both. I hope you get them working properly!
pathfighter wrote:Keep at it. People may not listen to regular madmen, but they do listen to jacked madmen.

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm

RepublicJim wrote:I second the hanging shrugs (scapular pull ups). Another good option is scapular push ups. A good mix of both will help you build up scapular strength and stability in both a vertical and a horizontal plane. I didn't have much awareness of my scapular movement during pulls or pushes until I did a lot of reps of both. I hope you get them working properly!

Thank you RJ. Will get into it!

pathfighter

Postby pathfighter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Just a hunch, but there is a key difference in Western and Eastern ideas about posture that could be at play here. The typical Western idea of ideal posture is chest out and back arched, with the shoulder blades pressed back. This is actually a rather unhealthy position, leading to "open scissor" posture that's terrible for the back.

The Eastern traditional posture is much closer to healthy. The rib cage is down and braced, and the shoulder blades are held more loosely.

Maybe you have a shoulders-back Western posture and your qigong teacher is making note of that?
jimlang wrote: Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 pm

pathfighter wrote:Just a hunch, but there is a key difference in Western and Eastern ideas about posture that could be at play here. The typical Western idea of ideal posture is chest out and back arched, with the shoulder blades pressed back. This is actually a rather unhealthy position, leading to "open scissor" posture that's terrible for the back.

The Eastern traditional posture is much closer to healthy. The rib cage is down and braced, and the shoulder blades are held more loosely.

Maybe you have a shoulders-back Western posture and your qigong teacher is making note of that?

That is correct. I have problem with sinking my chest and with moving my shoulder blades in and out of spine. That leads to the putting a lot of stress to the shoulders and to making whole upper back very stiff. And that blockes the energy of the movements.

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”