Qigong

Ask strength and conditioning questions or share your knowledge.
Arkann

Qigong

Postby Arkann » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

I've got introduced to Qigong. I am starting 10 weeks online introductory course for Dragon and Tiger medical QiGong.

I am just curious if anyone here has tried something like that and what is your experience. Specifically, how it is done along with intense training.

Any input is appreciated.

Here is some intro information.

https://free-giveaways.s3.amazonaws.com/Dragon-and-Tiger-Free-PDF.pdf

Steel

Re: Qigong

Postby Steel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 am

As a lifelong martial artist and "kung fu" type , during my decrepit old sojourn on this planet, I have experimented with many western-eastern practices like these . There is at the heart of most of this commonality in methodology. Various threads on breathing, yoga , mindfulness movement and all things optimum health and "energetic" have come and gone on RT forum.

It's a natural enough question to ask others if they have done similar and what was their experiences but without sounding too abstract, that's their experience, not yours .

You need to find out what your experience will be in this material . If I were to tell you I reached the 7th level of xyz that was my experience it may not be yours. Similarly if another posted ( and they have) it's all a crock of woo woo shit that's their experience or non experience opinion, not your discoveries.

So I say enjoy your studies as an ongoing self experiment of one. Remain as objective as you can and see for yourself what you get out of it. For you surely have already an idea of what it is you want or hope to get out of it ?

The pdf you posted is interesting in the methodology of layering components , for example, if I am learning new movements I have to do as the pdf advises separate to combine. Let's take for example the correct knee alignment mentioned but let me shift the context. My training partner getting his fencing sword lunge incorrect with a foot knee position that in long term will rip his tendons to bits and destroy his ankle knee . Well, I have to deconstruct every small micro detail and get him to do each part at a Hong Kong octogenarian super slow motion play speed...however, once learned and internalised he can pick up the pace speed to higher faster intensities to all out max speed.

Sometimes I will go down to the beach and in front of the ocean when no one is around and use what you might call a super slow synchronised totality of "moving meditation" when wanting to learn new sword skills. So that little by little it gets internalised to greater speeds. Be it this your studies or kundalini yoga or Russian autogenics , Tibetan kum nye or the 5 tibetans, yoga nidra, auto suggestion, lymphatic movement or any other of a million practises to "optimise" you for a quality life, then it's worth exploring in an increasing media neurotic three ring circus of modern life . Even if it serves as a useful support chapter for that part- time period of your life or to satisfy the exploratory mindset and answer your questions about it . ( as long as it isnt harming you or others in some way) The practises I did in my robust bulletproof 20s are not the same as a greying haired 57 year old ... they got dropped, changed, adapted as my needs changed or my philosophy of approach changed.

Interesting post , good to ask as many of the old timers on this forum do experiment and add subtract , switch up and switch out their practices.

Arkann

Postby Arkann » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 am

Steel, thank you. Great input and it is very appreciated.

I do feel great deal of natural relaxation and quietness with beginning and very few baby steps into the realm of qigong. I am sure that it will help me with my meditation practices and certain pattern in my life. Self-discovery it is. Interesting that you have mentioned Tibetan practices as this is something that I am following now. More in the mind transformation aspect.

I have a feeling that my approach to the training will change a lot as I am moving along with the qigong. Applying 70% rule and keeping strength development on the short leash. I want to let it unfold.

Thanks again. Cheers, mate.

Steel

Postby Steel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 am

Arkann wrote:Steel, thank you. Great input and it is very appreciated.

I do feel great deal of natural relaxation and quietness with beginning and very few baby steps into the realm of qigong. I am sure that it will help me with my meditation practices and certain pattern in my life. Self-discovery it is. Interesting that you have mentioned Tibetan practices as this is something that I am following now. More in the mind transformation aspect.

I have a feeling that my approach to the training will change a lot as I am moving along with the qigong. Applying 70% rule and keeping strength development on the short leash. I want to let it unfold.

Thanks again. Cheers, mate.

Your welcome Arkann, you may enjoy this interview article and photographs http://mandirigma.org/?p=3243 A very well known high speed ballistic martial arts weapons expert who surprisingly incorporated the "soft" to help his overall skills, outlook and health. I trained with one of his lifelong top sparring partners and he also could move like solid steel force on force and yet yield his entire body like he was made of elastic rubber. Both of them back home in their younger years had made the connection to incorporating various Chinese Internal Arts in addition to their own culture.

For me its also a very simple pragmatic point , you dont want to be highly trained in certain arts and be a hot headed, red rage headcase who will fly off the handle and run amok at the slightest insult.

Delighted to read that you already sense some benefits from your study practise. Have you done any reading around qigong and brainwave neural states ? These days with so many biofeedback tools these old methods are being studied with modern mapping technology.

Faust

Postby Faust » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Great interview!
I like the approach of slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
The pdf got me curious. Thanks for sharing!
Read Nietzsche

Steel

Postby Steel » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Faust wrote:Great interview!
I like the approach of slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Faust my good man

Slow Play and how it can bridge the gap between Set Play (forms and drills) and Loose Play (free fencing or bouting)

Thus Spoke Zarathustra :mozilla_tongue:

Return to “Strength and Conditioning”